What could be causing my problems with my internet routers?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Grouch, Aug 3, 2006.

1. Grouch

Grouch Guest

So my house is wired with internet drops around in different rooms. All originating at a central point where the cable modem and router and placed.

I had been using s D-Link router that would work for ~2 months before various problems would happen. Very rapid connects and disconcerts would happen for days at a time. The router would just stop functioning, all the lights would be flashing as they should but it wouldn’t be routing the connection to the various drops, though I could still connect to the network on my wireless laptop. I know that was a router problem since I could still plug in directly to the modem and internet worked fine. I would then have to reset the router and run the install cd over again to get it working, which would only help for so long before it would just die altogether.

That happened 3 times with 3 different d-link routers. I then switched to a Linksys and within a day it already lost connection and needed to be reset with the install CD.

I do torrent a lot but I don’t see how that could be a problem. Could some sort of surge on the Ethernet cable cause a problem? My house appears to have been wired wrong from the builder, the co-ax that is supposed to carry a cable signal does not so I’m using one off the 6 way splitter that sends signals to the rest of the house.

Any ideas?

2. mitrong

mitrong so cute

are you sure it's your router? i had a similar problem before and it turns out that my cable modem went bad.

3. Grouch

Grouch Guest

well thats the thing I connect to the modem directly and i get on the internet fine. If the modem could send some sort of signal or somehow cause my router to crap out I guess that could be a possible cause.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

With a cable modem or with mine at least, the coax going to the modem should come off the first splitter after in comes into the house.

I used to have mine wired through a 4 or 6 way splitter like yours. It worked for a while then crapped out. Put a 2 way splitter on the line that comes into the house. Have one output go to the modem and the other output to everything else.

5. Deevan

Deevan Active Member

Are you limiting bandwidth on your torrents? NEVER use unlimited if you're using a consumer router, limit it to 80k up or so or you will freeze it up.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

pay instead of steal. problem solved!

7. Grouch

Grouch Guest

:ugh:

thats assuming the torrents are the cause of the problem. A problem which did not exist under near identical configuration at a diferent house.

8. Grouch

Grouch Guest

I will give that a try. thanks.

9. joebenz

joebenz New Member

or just try going a few days without downloading and see if it keeps happening. your router shouldnt shut down because of bandwidth issues. or check the qos on your router. i have a friend how had a cheap router and with his qos settings, if it hit the max, his internet connection would die

10. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Eliminate all points of failure then duplicate the problem. Connect one computer straight to the cable modem for a day and see if it still happens. if it doesn't connect it to a second PC. If it doesn't then, put the d-link back in line with the working PC and see if it starts then.

11. Grouch

Grouch Guest

just happend again. reset the router by unpluging it and pluging it back in and it seemed to kick in again.

12. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I just ran into a router at a business that had wireless and ethernet. The wireless was the only thing that would work. Buy another router and get something better than D-Link.

13. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

I was having trouble with internet disconnects recently. I have dsl with a wireless router. My desktop plugs into the router but my laptop is wireless. My modem and router had all the lights on as they should be, but I could not connect. It worked fine for the last few months but it started acting up when I added the desktop. I called my dsl provider and it turned out to be my router was using the same ip address as my modem. I changed one number in the router ip address and it's been working great since then.