SRS What classifies as depression?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kos, May 11, 2005.

1. kos

kos New Member

I'm just wondering some things, before I go to a doctor. I'm really just going to blab on, in no peticular order.

Lately I've just been under a ton of stress, such as money issues, my job, and other petty shit. My job is pretty stressfull, and I hate it. I've been looking to get out of it, but I don't have anything to go to, and I never went to college. Because of my job, I've had a rough relationship at home, and I'm really moody. Because of this, me and my girlfriend got into a fight, it became slightly physical, and I went to jail. So I have the stress from that as well.
    I also get irritated very easily by the simplest things. In the past I've compteplated suicide, but obviously I've never done it. So with all the stress and other BS in my life, I don't know what to do.

I'm also, what you'd call anti-social. I hate big groups, I hate meeting new people, or anything of the sort. Hell, I'm afraid to go up to a buffet at a resturant (And it's not that I don't like my body or anything). So I've never really had any friends, not even during my childhood (that wasn't all that great). And to be honest, I don't have any friend's now either. I guess I do have a friend, but it's not like a normal friendship that I see other people having. We've just hung out occasionally, and I've helped him work on his car and viseversa. The only time I'm comfortable is when I've known someone for a while, and it's a more 1-on-1 situation.

My mom is bi-polar, and so is her father, and one of her sisters. I'm not sure about her parents parents. And as far as I know, bi-polar is heretitary, so I could have it.

One of the things I'm confused about is, is getting mad easily a sign of depression? I know breaking down from stress is, but what about my other problems?

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  2. infodoc

infodoc I'm Housin'

Depression

* Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
    * Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
    * Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
    * Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
    * Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
    * Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
    * Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
    * Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
    * Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
    * Restlessness, irritability
    * Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/depression.cfm#ptdep3

3. kos

kos New Member

I'd say some of that applies to me (in bold). I'm really surprised some of that is considered depression.. Maybe I should see a doctor for it. I have horrible sleep, and so I need to drink or take OTC sleeping pills. And I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) that happens every day when I wake up, get nervous, or anything really. And the perscription medications that I have don't really work that well. Does social problems qualify as depression as well? And thanks for posting that.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

We have a 'cant sleep thread' up here coincidentally you might want to check up there. Depression is something you can feel, as said and described above its really about going thru a valley in your life,and climbing back out and continueing life or suicide as a result.

Drinking will make you sleep faster, but not better. So quit drinking immediatly. Alcohol is only a symptom suppressor not a problem solver. Normal people don't need medicines to sleep, or to wake up.

Before you grab to medicines (not that im denying or saying that you shouldn't go visit a doctor) i would like to talk to you that medicines against depression are like alcohol symptom suppressors and not problem solvers. Reality is that a problem remains a problem till the end of time, until you stick out your hands and solve it.

It's like being locked in a room, what helps more>, whining about it that you are locked,drinking beer,using drugs or a key to get out? You need to find the key to open the door and leave the miserable situation behind you. Often these problems are like puzzles that you have to solve, and deal with. I hope you understand that im not denying you your docters visit, all im trying to teach you is that the cause could also lie in your 'approuch' towards life, a different stance and a different tactic to solve the problems in your life may well be more rewarding then grabbing to a bottle of pills, they are often not the key you are looking for, you need to find the RIGHT key which opens the door and actually solves your problem. Talking about your problems, is a great first step which i am proud of you that you have made into trying to resolving your situation.

5. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Good advice.

6. I'm suffering from serious depression lately. I have a lot of those symptoms. I just started Welbutrin. Hopefully in a few more weeks on top of the counseling and I'll see progress. :)

7. I agree, however - I think counseling in conjunction with medication for persistent cases is a wise idea. That's what I'm doing now for the first time in my life. I've used a lot of meds, but never was able to tolerate any of them. The Welbutrin is well tolerated so far by me. In a few weeks I should begin seeing results, and my counseling is once per week.

8. johan

johan Active Member

Good luck.

9. kos

kos New Member

I only have a drink or two before going to sleep on some days. But I was going to go to a psychiatrist, but the only trouble is that my insurance will only cover 50% (in network), and I don't imagine that the office visit will be cheap. So I really can't afford the 50% co-pay. So I definately wouldn't mind talking to someone about it, but I just can't afford it. But if I were to go to a regular doctor and got a perscription for something, I would just have to pay my perscription co-pay. I completely understand that medications are just covering up the problem and not really correcting it, and I'd rather fix it, but right now, it's really not an option.