What causes muscle growth? -- Simple, to the point explanation.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by slang4lavatory, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slang4lavatory

slang4lavatory New Member

What Causes Muscle Growth?

If I may dispense with the usual formalities and get right down to brass tacks, so to speak, I'd like you to consider the following statement:

"When a biological system experiences a challenge, it modifies itself in order to be able to more easily meet similar challenges in the future."

Now, in my opinion, if you're interested in growing muscle, that statement contains everything you'll ever need to know. Muscle is in fact a biological system, and it grows (or atrophies) in direct proportion to the amount of work it is forced to do.

Of course, all training systems approach this reality by suggesting an endless array of often conflicting recommendations regarding exercise selection, number of reps and sets, length of rest periods, and so on. One system says 3 sets of 10; another says one set to failure. One system recommends resting 1 minute between sets, another 3 minutes. One system employs partial range of motion, another full range of motion. On and on it goes. What gets lost in all this is the simple reality that whatever system allows you to do the most work per unit of time is what causes muscle to grow in an optimal manner.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459765

This should answer a lot of "how many sets and reps should I do? How long should I rest? Etc etc."

Another simple point some people overlook,

Auto-Regulation: Forget about sets and reps. Forget about rest intervals. Forget about time under tension. I'm totally serious — all of these parameters distract you from the essential truth — that you need to do more work this time than you did last time. It literally took me over 20 years of studying these factors to realize that they don't matter. So take out your training log, see how many total repetitions you did during your last workout for the same muscle groups, start the stopwatch, and beat that number. That's all. If you do this every workout, you'll grow. And if you don't you won't. Any questions?

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Staley has beat that shit to death

3. slang4lavatory

slang4lavatory New Member

Yeah - I don't care for his routines, but I like the language he uses. It's very cut and dry.

4. black jesus

black jesus OT Supporter

i just realized that I must start keeping a log.

5. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

I don't know how you can grow without a log.

I have an excel spreadsheet with all my lifts, weight, sets, reps, dates, everything. I've filled in 21 pages and over 1000 rows in 4 months.

EDIT: I'm going to back it up right now. :o

6. BobG

BobG Fuchs.

Umm... Atrophy means to waste away or decrease in size, doesn't it? I believe you mean hypertrophy

;)

7. Formz

I couldn't do that at all.

And who knows, maybe you're wrong but don't know it. :noes:

8. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

me either, I know exactly what I did last time I was doing the exercise

9. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

10. Jeg1983

Jeg1983 OT Supporter

Nah hes right, he is saying muscle can hypertrophy or atrophy and what happens is in direct proportion to amount of work it is forced to do

11. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

Do it, they help

12. JJM Enterprises

JJM Enterprises New Member

Agree 100% with the thread starter. When I go, if I'm benching three full sets of 8 at 145-155-165 (it's low, i know), the next time I will go for 150-160 -165. When i can hammer out those three full sets, then up it another 5 lbs.

My squat started at 180-190-200, and went up to 280-290-300 in about 4-5 months. I do the same on all exercises, and see pretty decent gains as long as I'm going steadily. Of course, slacking off during the summer doesn't help at all...

13. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

A log is not needed, I grew quite well with no log, and no specific routine over the last year, I would say my gains couldnt have been better. Basically, I have my specific muscle group for the paticular day, and I'll work it untill near failure, switching between heavy, medium, light weight and high/med/low sets depending on the week. I randomly decided at the begining of the week that this will be say heavy week light reps and work out as hard as I can untill failure.

I keep a log now just so I can look back someday and see where I was, maybe I'll be able to make myself proud.

14. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I dont keep one right now but that sounds like a fucking good reason t ostart one. So far I make decent gains without a log and training in a manner that most would call haphazardly, maybe I need to finally get really serious?

15. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

I dunno how about you but no matter how broly ill ever get ill always remember the weak rail that i am now.

16. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Tru but it feels better to see yourself go from ginourmous fatty to, not so fatty to normal, to elite im still workin on the normal part. :wtc:

17. Formz

My memory is sooo fucking awful. :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.