What can you tell me about Focal?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fintheman, Jun 23, 2007.

1. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

So, I went to Tweeter and it was closing and I found Focal Profile 908's for 700.00 - I saw that they had a MSRP of 4000.00, so I figured it was a deal from what I know about Focal from the carfi stand point. This was the last day they were open so.....here they are.

Here is a pic of them....

[​IMG][​IMG]

The question though is, it is worth it to keep this hifi of speakers around? I'm willing to spend the money on a nice receiver but I'll have to wait until I'm moved into my new house to do that.

I also got this, I figured 114 remotes for 75.00 of Hifi equipment would do well on ebay.

[​IMG]

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

"the Focal Profile 918 speakers did a fantastic job of recreating the energy in the grooves. The 918s had little trouble keeping up as I cranked the volume to satisfy my increasing lust for a tactile event. Elvin Jones' drum work was especially therapeutic. And when Art Davis started bowing his double bass (or was it Reggie Workman, who is also on this track and known to bow?), the 918s put out real, feel-it-in-your-gut vibes. The Profile speakers like to be driven. In that regard, they're not excellent late night speakers, failing to come to life at very low levels. Normally, this is a putdown, but in the case of the Profiles it was a compromise to which I was willing to submit. If you're a casual listener, well, you're probably not in the market for $4,000/pr. speakers anyway. For critical listening, at more appropriate levels, the Profiles simply come alive.
    Focal's tweeter is no shrinking violet that masks what's in the recording. Hot, treble heavy fare sounds like the bad recordings they are. Don't blame the speaker for telling the truth. One otherwise exceptionally well recorded performance is Jacques Loussier's jazzy impressions of Chopin's nocturnes (Telarc, SACD 63602), which subjects us to a high degree of multichannel hiss at the hands of the five Focal tweeters. In the car, with road noise as a mask, I hadn't noticed this. Was it the recording or the tweeter or the combination? Even an orchestral multichannel SACD of Stravinsky's Petrouchka with Paavo Järvi conducting the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra (Telarc, SACD 60587) exhibited a higher degree of hiss from all five channels than I expected. The Focal's tweeter exposes what many have clearly seen as a flaw with the SACD format.
    Turning to another high-resolution recording, this time from tried-and-true PCM technology, I put on an a cappella recording of twelve west coast cantors from AIX recordings. This 24-bit/96kHz 5.1-channel recording on DVD-Audio (AIX-80012) was effectively devoid of any noticeable hiss. My only conclusion is that the Focal Profile's tweeter is a tool no recording engineer should be without."
    -Ultimate Av Mag

Profile 918: Ported, three driver, "2-1/2 way" floor-standing speaker
    Drivers: 1" aluminum/magnesium hybrid tweeter, 6.5" midrange with 1.25" voice coil, 6.5"woofer with 1.5" voice coil
    Frequency Response: 40Hz-30.5kHz (-3db)
    Impedance: 8 ohms, 3.2 ohms minimum
    Crossover: 180Hz, 2600Hz
    Sensitivity: 90 db @2.83V/1m
    Power handling: 200-watts
    Dimensions: 9" x 39" x 13.8" (WxHxD)
    Weight: 43 lbs.
    Price: 3,995/pr.

match those speakers with a amp and a sub and you've got a killer music system

PS you have the 918s not 908s, lolz

3. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

:eek3:

Thats an amazing deal for the profiles. Should have grabbed some 1037be's if they had them.

I have the Chorus 800v series and am pretty happy with them

4. fintheman

Man, I don't know what to do, I already got an offer to buy them for 3200.00

I just bought a house and would make great use of that money.

5. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

:bowdown:

Take the money & run

6. Ronin

Ronin Guest

yeah take the money man, use it for payments or you could redo a bathroom with that money, you could even get some pro landscaping done, u can do a lot of shit. hell you could u buy some stocks, lolz

7. fintheman

I think you guys are correct....