What can my friend do with two P4 2.8GHz processors?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by johnson, Jan 29, 2005.

1. johnson

johnson New Member

He wanted to know if theres a reletively inexpensive way to use both.

2. PBizme

PBizme I Got Nothing

he could send one to me

3. mr. texas

mr. texas New Member

workstation mobo

4. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Not a chance. He will need two Xeons in order to do that, which I can assure you are WAY out of his league.

He should sell both, and get dual 2800+ T-Breds, and perform the XP->MP bridge mod. I have dual 2600+'s via that mod and they are amazing.

The best dual XP board is the Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P. I have one, and it's amazingly fast, stable, and full of features. You just have to get smaller HSF for the CPU's, but ironically I'm running two massive, silent TR2TT by Thermaltake TR2-M1's on these with no issues. Those are the best coolers on the market, in my opinion. Cheap, effecient, silent, and lighted. You can't get a better cooler for $10.

Be aware that he will also need AT LEAST a 450w PSU, preferably a 500w to run duallies. I was running mine off of a 250w Bestec from a one year old HP, and I overloaded it, and now it can't even run my stripped down setup of one CPU/TNT2. It reboots sometimes :(.

Also, don't get any cheap, crappy power supplies. If you are into the modded thing, the MGE XG Vigor 500w is the best PSU around for the money. The rails are fantastic; simply amazing. Less than .5% fluctuation on all of them. If you don't like the modded look, then the ThermalTake PurePower 480w Xaser edition would be perfect. However, it's rails are a world off from the MGE's, and it just simply cannot compare.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2005
  5. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

6. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

how big are p4 cpu's ?

make shot glass coasters out of them :dunno:

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Ebay one of them and use the cash to buy a board and some ram for the other.