What can I use to create simple utilities?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by busydoingnothing, Jul 26, 2007.

1. busydoingnothing

busydoingnothing A broken man too tough to cry

I work in tech support for a company that writes software for financial institutions for check processing. I'm looking for ways to reduce our call volume (we're a smaller shop), and one way I've thought of is to create basic utilities to either allow clients to fix common issues themselves or to speed up our process.

It's nothing extremely intense. For example, one utility I have in mind would search a certain directory location with multiple subfolders for a specific file extension, then allow the client to select which folders they want to deal with. The utility will then rename those files and move them to another folder. I could likely accomplish this with a batch file, but I'd much rather have a semi-decent looking interface (i.e. a Windows app).

Is this something that I can accomplish with some sort of scripting language? The utilities will typically deal with file manipulation, file parsing, perhaps accessing the registry, executing (Oracle) SQL scripts (or even accessing SQL directly through ODBC), stuff like that. Any recommendations?

2. Stev

Stev Active Member

if you're going to create it, just write it in whatever language you are used to or have been trained in.