MIL What can i expect after my service ends with the military ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by deltonius, Apr 5, 2008.

1. deltonius

deltonius Guest

i'm curious as to how you go from a military personal to a civilian.

I'm planning on talking to a marine recruiter this monday and i'm thinking about what i'll do after my service is over it.

Do they help find a job for you ?

What if you plan on staying in the military your whole life ? is that a wise decision ?

I dont have much a future education wise so staying in the military for life is pondering my mind.

Alot of people told me that the marines arent the best branch that'll provide the best life after your service is done with.

Any input is appreciated b/c i want to make a decision before i see them next week.

2. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

The heavens will open up and rain blessings upon you.

3. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

There have been plenty of Marines that have transitioned into a civilian career.

4. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

When I first got out of the service, the transition was a huge culture shock. All I had ever known was the military, from birth through most of my school years, and then right after High School I went into the military. So I know what you're talking about.

The military will provide you with a system where you will know exactly what is expected of you, and you will have definite feedback as to whether you are doing what you are supposed to do or not. You will be a part of a team in every sense of the word. You will work closely with men and women that have the same exact training as you, know exactly what you and they are supposed to be doing, and know exactly what will happen if any of them don't do their job.

What you will find when you leave the military is , in a word, chaos. There will be islands of sanity, but for the most part everyone makes up their rules as they go. You will be told you are doing a great job only to find out that the manager that said that is already interviewing candidates to replace you. You will see coworkers getting away with shit that you wouldn't have even thought about doing - and they will be getting stellar reviews as well.

You will also find that most employers highly value the training and background that veterans have. It will be something of value that you will carry with you for life.

5. Fearan

Fearan Guest

Ranger said it pretty nicely.

It's a lot diffferent, but if you apply the values you learned you'll be fine. If you aren't 031 there are a lot more opportunities for jobs after, even without education.

6. shiba

shiba Active Member

The military won't help you find a job per se, but there are plenty of veteran placement programs out there available for you.

7. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Pretty much sums up why I came back in the military. Being a civilian did not suit me. I feel that civilians have very poor work ethics, and therefore have very low job satisfaction. Even though I made a lot of money in the civilian sector, I truely missed the teamwork and the sense of accomplishment I felt when in the military, so I rejoined.

8. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

No one person can say whether either civilian or military is for you. You have to try it, unfortunately you have to sign a contract saying you'll do X amount of years to do that. Some people are born to be in the military, they just click with it and it makes them happy. Some people need the structure the military offers. Being in the military is the easiest job on this planet. You will not find another job that pays as good for as little work as you do (at least if you're in AF/Navy).

9. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

i can expect six figures FTW

10. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

i agree with what ranger said..

then about a year after i totaly lost my military composure..

I also found that my chosen mos (19k) translated to basically nothing in the civilian world.. so now im just a damn construction worker

11. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

youre gonna end up riding the trolley begging for change somewhere for that :noes:

12. deltonius

deltonius Guest

:ugh:
    what was your MOS ?

13. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:ugh:

14. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

How so? With experience you could be the foreman, and they bring in some serious cash and sometimes only have to work 6 months out of the year.

15. Request.

Request. OT Supporter

Well said. I adapted poorly to being a civilian for the first 4 years. I didn't see that one coming.

It's scary getting out, but it was scary going in too. Give yourself 6 months to a year to adjust toi civilian life before you make any rash decisions.

The one thing you wont find are the friendships you've developed since being in. You'll feel pretty alone for a while but you adapt.

You find your nitch and it all works. Best of luck to you.

16. mtnbike4522

well ive only been in the construction industry for about 4 years now, so im not to foreman yet, but i am his right hand man.

im not saying that the money is bad.. but its alot of hard work. not something you want to do for the rest of your life

17. thekinggovernor

thekinggovernor OT Supporter

what about your GI bill $$$, you could go to school for construction management

18. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

19. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

20. mtnbike4522

my company is a general contractor/ construction management place. already doing it

21. SuperMaWiiOH

SuperMaWiiOH New Member

The truth? Unless you have an education or someone who can hook you up with a job, good luck! Only certain jobs in the military can work out in the civilian world, (ex. MP, medical professions). Combat jobs really have nothing to do in the civilian world. As much as I hate to say it, education is really the key to a good job in the civilian world.