What can I do with these?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jazz, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Jazz

Jazz Powerhouse of the Scrum

I was cleaning out my closet this morning and I found these speakers I had completely forgot about...Crossfire BMF MB-6 6" midbass.

I bought them about three years ago to put in the back of my intergra and add a bit of bass to my system. I use my car as a hatchback all the time with skis, bikes etc. so I can't get a real sub. When I went to install these Crossfire's I noticed they were way too big for the stock brackets and I didn't have an amp anyways so I put them back in the box and on the shelf for later...then I forgot about them.

Here are the speakers:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They would kinda sit beside the rear passengers. Here is a pic of the stock speakers mounted and I want to put these in the same spot:
    [​IMG]

A pic from the back of the car with the rear seats folded down and the speaker location highlited:
    [​IMG]

The same pic with all the plastic removed so you can see which way the speakers face and kinda get an idea of how much space they have behind them:
    [​IMG]

So here it is installed on the drivers side:
    [​IMG]

And here's the problem I had when I put the everything back together...the speaker is getting squished as you can see it being folded in the top left corner:
    [​IMG]

And a pic of how the flush the stock speaker is with the mounting bracket to see why it's not a problem for it:
    [​IMG]

And a comparison pic of the two just to see the size discrepencies I'm dealing with:
    [​IMG]

So now my question is since the stock mounting bracket doesn't work and since I have to build something anyways, what should I go with?

I could go with a (really) small sealed enclosure to put in the same place, or I could just leave it free-air. I'm looking to cover the widest frequency range I can with he just these speakers and some Crossfire 6.5" co-ax's which I already have up front...loud isn't my biggest concern. For a G3 Integra, does anybody already make what I'm looking for?

Right now I'm just powering the fronts off my JVC KD-SH99 so I'm also looking to add a not-too-expensive 4 channel amp to the system to drive all four speakers if you have any recomendations for that....

Last edited: Mar 27, 2004
  2. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

3ohms eek

3. 04

04 Guest

If you are trying to cover the widest frequency range you will want to run them free-air. Is there any way you can rear mount them to that panel?

4. Jazz

what panel?

that thing in the last pic is the floor of the trunk/cover for the spare tire

5. 04

04 Guest

6. Jazz

you mean like the hilighted part of this pictre?
    [​IMG]

This is what the back of that panel looks like with the hilighted part the same:
    [​IMG]

And would correspond to the space right between that body brace to the left of the current speaker location:
    [​IMG]

I guess that would work, but would involve cutting a hole in the panel :sad2:

You think there's anything wrong with just getting an mdf panel and making a plate that sets the speaker where the stock one is, but maybe an inch further back so it doesn't interfere with the panel? I don't know enough about speaker design to know what will happen if there;s a bit of a gap between the front plane of the speaker and that trim panel.

7. FarBeyondDriven

FarBeyondDriven OT Supporter

make a small cut into your door panel if you have to, those are AWESOME speakers...

8. 04

04 Guest

Yeah you could make a MDF panel, if you have the time that's what I would reccomend. It would be a bit more sturdy than the oem panel anyways.