A&P What can I do with my pictures?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by aCab, Nov 21, 2008.

1. aCab

aCab New Member

My parents and gf and other people have been hassling me about my pictures - the fact that I don't really do anything with them. I take them, edit them, maybe post on here and flickr, and that's it. I guess they see a lot of potential and I'm just keeping them all on my hard drive. What do you guys think I should do?

2. f/2.8L

f/2.8L New Member

I think you're already doing what you want to do with them, otherwise you'd be doing something different.

:dunno:

3. aCab

aCab New Member

I want to sell them if I can. I just don't know who would buy them or where to start.

4. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

You might want to start with Smugmug or Zenfolio. They both have shopping carts where people can order directly.

5. Wheezer

Wheezer OT Supporter

Or any of the stock photo sites like iStockphoto.com

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

+1 for smugmug, and use my referral code :x:

PTNL30m5QgmTy

7. Sympathy

Sympathy OT Supporter

decorate your room w/ them :o

8. goten2000

goten2000 Tupac's Son

let's see them

9. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

I am in the exact same situation. I hear it all the time that I should do this or that with my photos or my skill. But really, I love doing my thing and that is it. I hate talking to "customers" who want to buy prints, and I'm too busy to even think about doing more.

Doing more for me would be pursuing a full-time job in photojournalism? No thanks, it's not that interesting and the pay is dick.

Doing more portraits? No thanks. I could not think of anything more fucking boring–both the work and the finished product and the pay is dick.

Weddings? Jesus God no. I fucking hate dealing with pissed off women who want to be pampered because, "It's my day!!!" Pay can be decent, but my soul is worth more than that.

Landscaper who sells 2 prints per year online or at local street fair? Uggg.

Commercial Photog? Sounds like fun, but is extremely fucking hard to actually get into, book jobs and keep a full appointment book. Not to mention the thousands and thousands of dollars in equipment.

So where does that leave me? It leaves me wide open to shoot when and where I want. I'm not under pressure to do anything except have fun and collect memories. I don't feel the need to get a sparkly new Flash site with horribly gay pop-40 ballads. And to be totally honest, I generally hate other pro-sumer photographers. I hate being around them and I really hate hearing them brag about booking a wedding here or there or how shitty of a photographer so and so is.

I dunno. Just like a lot of other careers out there, it's been wayyy too over-romanticized and why should I try to do something that more and more people are able to do just as well.

Of course I do not discourage people from trying. If you DO try and DO apply yourself and are able to put up with brides, brides' mothers, models, photo editors, you can make an okay living.

It's fun, but I like advertising a whole lot more. :dunno:

10. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Pretty much sums up my feelings. I do it for our university paper, but I really can't see it as a career. I love it, and to do some of the photos jobs would kill it for me.
    I plan to decorate rooms with some of my photos as I grow up though.

11. CRC

CRC New Member

I hear the same shit from people I know. They all have their suggestions on what I should do with my prints and talent. It's easy to tell someone what to do but to actually implement it and be successful and happy is another thing.

12. CRC

CRC New Member

This was the post that made him sell all his gear :hs: :wtc:

13. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

I used to think that way too - that doing it as a job would kill it for me. Then I realized any assignment I'd take, I'd throw my style into it and was making money doing something that I'd be doing anyway.

14. nastyboy132

nastyboy132 New Member

i would reccomend istock to start out with. maybe shutterstock in the beginning, then ditch them when you are eligible for exclusivity.
    stock is a learning curve and really forces you to master all technical aspects and view your images at 100% or they will just get rejected. :) so not only do you make $ it forces you to improve.

15. oliver

oliver New Member

I take pictures for my own enjoyment, i hear the same shit all the time. Mostly any $ i make is shooting nightclub events and whatnot. :hs: Maybe one day i'll branch out and make serious $ with it, maybe not. Either way I do it for my own purposes, i love the memories that are entailed with each pic. As long as theyre in my HDD I'm content. :love:

16. Mutombo

Mutombo New Member

I'm actually glad that this is only a hobby for me. I enjoy taking pictures, editing, and printing them. I love that I can decorate my apartment, office, etc, with my own work. I also love having all my memories documented in high quality pictures. I'm glad that I'm not trying to make money off photography, because I think it would take away from my enjoyment of the hobby.

However, if you are in a position to make money off your work and willing to put in the time, I say go for it with some of the suggestions above.

17. Keegan

Keegan New Member

Yep. I agree with you on this. I enjoy it, it's relaxing, and I love the fact that I have my own work on the wall and not someone else's.
    I thought about it as a career, but I'd rather keep it as a hobby and do something else... but you never know.

18. e.pie

e.pie Active Member

do you get any money from the sale :o