What can I do with a 97 F-150 2WD?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Sorny, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sorny

Sorny New Member

1997, Short bed, regular cab, 2WD, 4.6L, Auto :)(). Got a decent dual exhaust system on it but stock wheels and stock tire size. I hate that too because the tires look like they should stick out another inch or two to look right -- right now it's like they're no where near being close to the fenders. Anyways, I've always had 4WD's but this truck was basically free so I'm not complaining about the 2WD or the auto -- figured it'd be a good daily driver and a decent light hauler (trash, etc).

Not sure what to do with it though. I want to do something but it's never going to be fast (without putting $10K+ in it) and I'm not into bags or having one scrape the ground. Thought maybe just fat tires, tint, some nice BASIC 5 spoke chromes.. no 22s or anything. Guess I'm just old school basic. Anyone got any ideas or pics or anything like I'm doing? I can't find shit online.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

you might find an intake or programmer for it that might give you a few ponys, I wouldnt say fast I would just work on it staying reliable, it should be a good truck.

EDIT - I misread the V6 for the V8 :doh:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2006
  3. BajaDak

BajaDak If you have poo......fling it now

isn't the 4.6 fords small 8?....either way, if you want your truck blazing fast on the cheap.....

light it on fire and push it off a cliff

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

4.6 is the small V8, 4.2L would be the six.

The 4.6 is decent, but that is alot of weight for it... what do you want to do performance, looks, off roading?

Just make it look how you want, its your truck, do what you want.

5. Y2kAccord

My 4.6L is plenty for daily driving...

6. Sorny

Sorny New Member

Yeah, it's not bad. For daily driving it's pretty decent. I can cruise to work and not ever give it more then 15% throttle but I live in a tiny town and don't have to get on the highway or anything. When I go WOT it's not really anything amazing, just drinks a lot of gas ;)

Offroading is definately out (2wd), and so is performance. Guess I was just wanting to customize it a bit. It came with a soft bed cover but I don't really care for it so I've left it off. Thought about just a toolbox, maybe little bit wider tires (not like 325/65's or anything) and maybe a decent stereo.

Probably a good idea to just keep it as a reliable truck to drive to work and keep on hand for hauling stuff.

7. Hapytruck01

Hapytruck01 New Member

I have a Superchip for the 4.6L somewhere in my basement

You could make it into a pre runner and beat on it, it would be alot of fun to run shit over with it.

As for performance my 1999 4.6, Reg Cab, 4x4, short bed ran a 14.01 (with my rims on) in the 1/4 mile. It was 17.54 stock and I added a k&n filter, gibson supertruck exhuast, superchip, and Nitrous Express 100 dry shot for fun to beat my friend mustang GT. It would spin the tires for a while :hsd:

8. blitz91

blitz91 New Member

sell it

9. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

FTW

10. Tundra_Jim

Tundra_Jim New Member

I had a 97 ex cab with the 4.6. The fucker threw a rod through the side of the block at 85k for no reason whatsoever. It was my daily, so I never beat on it or anything. I sold it with the blown motor and never plan on getting another ford.

11. Y2kAccord

I have a 4.6L in my 06 and I could not believe what a difference a nice catback does, it woke the truck up

12. Trevor_Shiggs

Trevor_Shiggs T-Swift :love:

and buy a 4x4

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

14. Y2kAccord

From stock to adding the Borla, there is a huge difference in power...

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

it's hard to take you seriously in other threads when you make stupid statements like this!

16. Y2kAccord

on a 4.6L you get ~20HP increase from just the exhaust, that is noticeable on the seat of the pants dyno, more low end torque and a nice low rumble into a roar when I stomp into the gas.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  17. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first of all: you're wrong.

secondly: your butt is hardly a scientific instrument.

finally: It's hard to take ANYTHING you say seriously when you post information as plainly incorrect, as this.

18. Y2kAccord

So putting a performance exhaust on your vehicle does not give anymore power.

YOU ARE WRONG.

The truck has more low end torque, easily spins the tires now where it wouldnt before. Its quicker off the line and on the top end, this has to be a result of something. These are dyno tested and Borla says their testing shows 7-15% increase (depending on vehicle).. even the low end of 7% for my truck would be nearly 20HP increase, which I would tend to believe over someone who just says I am wrong with no other info other than talking out his ass.

Not sure what I did for you to constantly attack me when I drive my truck every day and can tell the difference. Have you driven a Ford F-150 stock and with a borla back to back, how can you tell me beyond a 100% certainy than my exhaust did not give me anymore power, when Borla, a very respected name in performance and numerous dyno tests by them and independently show otherwise.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2006
  19. Y2kAccord

BORLA DYNO RESULTS DONE BY PEOPLE WITH A BORLA EXHAUST WHO DO NOT WORK FOR BORLA...

This time around, the only real modification I was testing was the Borla XR-1 exhaust. From what I had heard, there was no HP to be gained and some even lost HP! Wow, what a scary thought! The Borla is just too wicked to pass up on though.

The good news here is that with the addition of the Borla XR-1 exhaust, I gained 8.2 rwhp and 4.8 lbs of torque! My new rwhp is 333.2 and 332 lbs of torque.
    http://www.2phast.com/Corvette/dyno10.jpg

The Borla Stinger CAT Back Exhaust System surprised a lot of the testers with its performance...

Here are the results: Base line dynamometer figures were peak RWHP at 282.5 @ 5200 RPM and 299.5 RWT @ 4200 RPM.

A/F ratios at 2000 to 2500 RPM went from 14.5 to 12.5. From 2500 to 6700 RPM the A/F ratios went from 12.48 across the board through to redline.

The RWHP increased +10.6 and the RWT increased +21.3lbs. Also significant to note is the lower RPM vs. the baseline dyno of where the HP and T peaks. HP peaked 200RPM earlier and Torque peaks at 100 RPM sooner. The torque increases at 2500 RPM we a full 10.2 lbs. more, rising to peak Torque at 4200 RPMs. The torque increases are substantial from 2500 to 4200 RPM peak.

These are a couple I found with a quick web search...

So where are you getting your misinfo?

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

last time I checked, your F150 was not a modified Corvette :mamoru:

21. Y2kAccord

you said that exhaust did not increase performance. I am saying that it does.

22. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

in the instance of the corvette, the borla shifts the torque curve. Giving it more in the higher rpms, at a sacrifice of low-end torque (of which the corvette has plenty, anyway).

Your F150 doesn't need any more power in the 4000rpm range, and doesn't even rev very high, anyway! Why install exhaust for "power" when you typically kill torque under 2500rpm (notice how these dyno-charts provided typically do not show torque under 2500RPM???) and a truck is all about low-end?

23. Y2kAccord

Chambed Exhaust like a Flowmaster does actually lose some low end torque, but the canister exhaust like Borla and magnaflow do actually increase low end torque and make more power on my truck. This is dyno proven.
    You are just speculating with no actual knowledge of Borla exhaust or my vehicle so sorry you are just misinformed.

24. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ignorance is bliss :mamoru:

25. Y2kAccord

It must be :mamoru: