What can I do to speed up my small office network?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jigga, May 5, 2005.

1. jigga

jigga while your gun's raisin, mine is blazin

Hey everyone:

I have a small office network with about 10 computers running a proprietary database software off of the server.

Right now, I have 2 of the following 8-port Linksys switches piggybacked because initially we only had about 4 workstations but then added more and so instead of buying a new access point, we just did it the piggyback way.

[​IMG]

What do you guys recommend I can do to speed up the network? My first guess would be to replace both switches with a single switch or something... I'm not too sure though. I'm already using a Fast Ethernet switch...Is there anything else I can do save for upgrading the server (which is pretty new and up to date anyways)? I want this bitch to be fast.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: May 5, 2005
  2. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

what exactly is slow? can you copy files back and forth quickly but the database is slow to update? is everything slow?

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

4. jigga

Stupid question maybe... how do I know if I'm running a 10baseT lan or 100BaseTX?

5. jigga

Well, I'm not too worried about copying files and such... but sure, let's just assume everything is slow.

Moreso about the time that it takes for me to pull a report on my screen after doing a specific query or updating the db after I make certain changes through a transaction or whatever... I know that's kinda dependant on the database itself (which is a Visual Foxpro/SQL) but was hoping that I can speed things up without having to touch the software (because that would be quite expensive).

I'm looking for something higher end also so maybe 3Com instead of Linksys?

6. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

buy gigabit switch/cards

7. jigga

:eek3:

8. sideshovvbob

sideshovvbob What the hell does "rant" mean?

1) brand doesn't matter... they're all exactly the same speed. 100Mbps is always 100Mbps
    2) buying a bigger switch to avoid having 2 is completely pointless
    3) gigabit switches and network cards together are the only way to increase speed (you shouldn't just get the switches, because your network cards are still only 100Mbps)
    4) I'd seriously be surprised if you were overtaxing your 100Mbps... you need serious data transfers to be going on continuously to max that out... (copying files over the network and shit)

9. jigga

you are right, i don't think i am overtaxing the 100Mbps, so what would you recommend I do to speed it up?

10. col_panic

the second row of lights labelled "100" will light up when a device connects at 100

11. col_panic

i'm not sure your network is the bottleneck. you might check the server for memory and cpu usage at peak loads. maybe the server needs more ram. maybe your database needs to be optimized. maybe the database is i/o intensive and you have slow disk speed ...

12. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

1) Correct
    2) Incorrect. If your servers are on one switch and your clients are on another, but the switches are joined together, you are now SHARING the bandwidth to the clients. For example, 8 clients accessing the server can only use a maximum of 8/100 or roughly 12 Mbps if they are accessing it at the same time. This remains true in a single switch, single server situation as well, but as soon as you distribute the server trafic, it makes a big difference.
    3) You don't need to upgrade the clients, but upgrading the server to a gigabyte card, as well as getting a switch that has one gigabyte connection will make a difference.
    4) If you're interested, I could sell you 16 port gigabyte switch. Was only used for a few months before the office closed (and the ransacking begun :mamoru: )

13. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

I see actual transfer speeds of about 7-8MB/sec with 100mbit due to overhead, traffic, etc. Most hard drives won't keep up with 1gbit speeds. My 7200rpm Hitachi can read data at about a max of 33MB/sec with one large file which *roughly* translates to what about 300mbit? My laptop hard drive is even slower.

If you only have 10 PC's gigabit is a waste (right now), but the price is dropping to the point where you might as well invest for the future at the rate things are going.

14. Goonigoogoo

Hard drives to date are always the bottlenecks on a brand new machine, hopefully we'll see the standards change in RPM speed in the next few years, even if the standard becomes 10k RPM it will still be the bottleneck. But its a start.

15. jigga

Are you referring to the hard drive on the workstations or the server? Im assuming the stations, right?

16. jigga

2)So it seems as what you're saying is that I should be buying a bigger switch instead of having 2 of them piggy-backing right?

3)Can you explain this a little more? How would it help to upgrade just the server to a gb card and switch? Thx

4)Don't think I can go with your offer simply because I'm buying it for the business and would need the receipt and all for to expense it. Also would prefer to have something local and store-bought just for warranty reasons. Thanks though.

17. Goonigoogoo

I was reffering to all HDD's

18. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Back to basics of Hubs and switches:

Hubs share bandwidth, switches don't. But you are still limited to each segment that you use. Lets say you have an 8 port switch and an 8 port hub. Which is better? In a single server setup, the answer is the hub. Why? Because even though a switch can handle 7 clients running at 100 Mbps, the server on its 100 Mbps segment can't. There's your bottleneck. Each of the 7 Clients running at full tilt on the server will tap out at 1/7 of the servers bandwidth.

Same thing happens when you piggyback a set of clients onto a set of servers. That single segement between the switches is your bottleneck. So 2 8 port switches with servers on one switch and clients on another is just as efficient as a 16 port hub.

Now something like this: http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=35&scid=39&prid=570 is what you migh want to look at. It would take 10 clients at full tilt to tap out the servers available bandwidth.

Something that people also don't take into account is the type of traffic being sent. The faster the information is served up, the faster the NEXT piece of information can be sent. Yes your HD can only go so fast, but if you have 3 clients attacking your server, there's no way you can serve efficiently, and guess what, because those 3 took so bloody long, the next 3 are now blasting the server while its still serving up the first 3. Traffic jam.

So, to speed things up, you can try the switch I mentioned above, offloading some tasks onto another server (giving you an additional 100 Mbps segment and another HD), or look into a RAID setup (your level will be dependant on read/write priority).

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yes, even if you only have 100Mbps between your workstations, gbps to your server and gbps in between switches is ideal.

20. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

What he said.