What can I do to increase the amount of time I can hold my breath? v.SWIMMERS

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Jul 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

My goal is to swim the entire length of a 25m pool underwater and currently I can only go about 1/3 of the way before I run out of breath and have to surface for air.

So i'm wondering what are some things I can do to specifically increase the amount of time i'm able to hold my breath?

2. nosnikliw0

nosnikliw0 I am the cheese.

3. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

divers practice holding their breath

4. y1997

y1997 Made in the U.S.S.R.

I can make it there and back without taking a breath, but I am a competative swimmer. We do breathing sets to improve how long we hold our breaths, basicly breating every 3, 5, 7, and 9 strokes. Just try to breath on an odd ammout of strokes to make sure you dont swim crooked. Other than that, do cardio, swim, and dont smoke I guess.

5. scholar

scholar New Member

Practice, don't smoke, cardio.

6. Illini08

Illini08 New Member

When I swam competitively I would swim the 50 without taking a breath. What I found helped me with lung capacity when I was training was this: when you're going into the wall, dont sneak in a breath right before you flipturn, and don't breath right out of your flip turn. push off the wall, streamline, take a couple strokes, and then take a breath.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

drown, LOL

8. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Don't smoke, don't drink, practice holding your breath.

Increasing muscular strength may also prove helpful in that the stronger your muscles are, it's likely they will need less oxygen to cool down (this could also be a completely retarded theory, I don't know either way).

9. Illini08

Illini08 New Member

i would think that stronger muscles (and with that would probably be larger muscles) would mean that you would need more oxygen to supply them. i'm also talking out of my ass though, so i could be totally wrong as well

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Well then, it's only a matter of time before one of us gets raped by Ceaze or someone else more knowledgable on the subject than we. :coold:

You do make a good point though. My idea is based on the fact that smaller muscles typically will not be as strong, and therefore work harder and need more oxygen, where as stronger (and likely larger) muscles need more oxygen when being used in full force, but you won't be working them as hard to get the same speed in comparison to smaller ones. I'm sure they reach an equilibrium of strength, size, and endurance which is why champion swimmers are typically lean but muscular.

11. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Drinking has what to do with lung capacity?

12. hitmikey

hitmikey DRIVEN FROM WITHIN

i think that recovery time would have to do with endurance training such as long distance running or swimming, not necessarily your ability to lift a weight.

13. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

mitochondria

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Lung capacity has what to do with how efficiently your body uses oxygen?

15. Accord

Accord New Member

My goal is to go the entire length of a regulation size 25m pool without taking a single breath. I thought I was in great physical shape as far as cardio goes considering I consistently run miles in only 5:30, but damn it's totally different in a pool, I was expecting to do it no problem since I can run so well, but it was a rude awakening when I got into the pool.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

less momentum + higher resistence = more work

17. Accord

Accord New Member

That makes sense, but exactly how would I incorporate that into my training for what my goal is?

18. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Fucked if I know. Swim a lot :dunno:

19. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

I used to swim a shitload after I had my knee surgery. Basically holding your breath is practice. It is more of a lung compacity thing. I could get 3/4 of a regulation pool at the aquatic center. Just keep practicing breathing control. Unlike cardio there is a limit to your physical standards. Some people are just better than others.

20. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Quite a few Mixed Martial Artists promote workouts that are somewhere between muscular training and cardiovascular endurance.

Bas rutten has one in which he does 30 seconds of dips, 30 seconds of rows, 30 seconds of push ups, 30 seconds of crunches, 1 minute shadowboxing, 30 seconds curls, 30 seconds jumping, and etc for however many minutes.

Randy Couture has one in which he takes a bar with weight at a total of probably 80 lbs, squats it as fast as he can, shoulder presses it as fast as he can, deadlift's it as fast as he can Curls it, etc for 20-30 seconds each all in a row, and then takes a 1 minute break every 5 minutes (this is to simulate the 1 minute break you get between each 5 minute round in the UFC, which was the organization he fought in).

Similar to swimming, mixed martial arts (mainly ground fighting, but having to get up off the ground, strike, then take someone down is an important part of it too) often involves a near-constant muscular resistence to another person in all sorts of positions and situations. This requires muscular and cardiovascular endurance of very high proportions. Running is similar but as I said it uses momentum and mainly uses the legs, so it is a slightly lighter form of endurance workout.

The constant resistence is a great way to train for swimming. If you want to incorporate weights or calisthenics into your routine (if you don't already) you can try either of the above workouts (youtube bas rutten or randy couture and you can probably find the vids with ease) or develop one similar to that.

21. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy Guest

Very informative post:bowdown:

22. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Oh by the way, just to show you how retarded I am to have forgotten this, do deep breathing once a day for 10 minutes. This will help expand lung capacity and it probably has some type of positive effect on blood pressure. It sure as hell reduces stress and helps get you to a meditative state, which is good for overall health anyway.

23. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

For cardiovascular improvement Bas Rutten would probably recommend a heel to the groin followed by a headbutt out of nothing

24. slikna

slikna Grenade

Swim faster so you dont have to be underwater as long? :hs:

25. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

here's a trick for holding your breath longer. hyperventilate yourself right before you go under.
    breathe really deep, and take really quick breaths until your face gets tingly. (don't pass out though!) then try your 25m trick. I think you will find you get much farther.

hyperventilating yourself flushes carbon dioxide out of your body and helps you hold your breath much longer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.