A&P What can I do to improve (whats wrong w/ these..)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by BlackWRX02, Mar 10, 2003.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Taken on the Intercoastal Waterway in Daytona Beach. Thats the Seabreeze bridge in the background:)

Looking for tips on how to improve. It was a spur-of-the-moment shoot. Trying to learn my camera better

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

Ok, first of all your pictures are not that bad...assuming that you wanted a picture of a car and bridge. However I suspect that you want to learn how to take better photos of your car and not the bridge.

Rule no. 1. Find a background that dosen't compete with the foreground. The bridges in the background make it a bit too busy. Your best shot is the second one, where the car is shown against the water with the bridge framing it.

Rule no. 2. Use a large (wide) apeature and long lens to help throw the background out of focus. This will soften the background, drawing the eye to the car.

Rule no. 3. Shoot the photo just before or after dawn or just before or after sunset. The light is much prettier then. Overcast skys will give you a nice soft light and will work well if you shoot a photo with the car against a building or something where you do not see the sky.

Rule no. 4. A three quarter front shot usually works best for cars.

Rule no. 5. Police the area around the car and pick up all the trash. Wipe down any area on the car that shows hand prints or smuges.

Rule no. 6. Either open all the windows or close all the windows.

Rule no. 7. Do not shoot at high noon. See rule no. 3.

Rule no. 8. Have a beautiful naked lady pose with your car and no one will care what the car looks like. Failing that, try shooting your car while someone else drives it, panning the camera with the car and using a slow shutter speed to blur the background.

Rule no. 9. All the rules are made to be broken. Enjoy and have fun. Experiment as well.

Cheers
    Jim

3. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

Jim,
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I do know about not shooting at high-noon. It was the only part of the day I was able to get to that location and still have time to make it to work this evening. I took some at another location a while back on an overcast day at dusk and they came out better, but a little fuzzy b/c I didnt have a tripod with me.

I'll take the rest into consideration. I tried to get the G/F to pose on it when i took these but she said no :(
    She woulda looked great on it :bigthumb:

4. Joe

Joe 2015 :x: OT Supporter

car photos always look cool if you got a wheel turned and you have a really tight shot with the car actualy filling the frame (sok if it spills out too)

if you want back grounds, think about lines in the back... that first photo woudl have been cool if you had pulled forward so that the line of the bridge ran with the line of the car, and the other bridge on the right looked like it was extending out of the spoiler...

most cars look boring from eye level, 150 degrees from the side... don't be afraid to sit your ass down on the ground and shoot up at the car, stand up somewhere high, get up real close to the car, etc... lots of cars look simlar from proflie no matter what angle, so agian, don't be afraid to move around the car

if you shoot in the afternoon (but like jcolman said, in general, ideal lighting is at dawn/dusk) think about photographing the car in front of the sun... (similar to how to photograph some flowers) if you get the car between the sun and the camera, then use like one of the pillars to actually block out the sun (don't photograph it) your windows and edges get this glow to them...