what can cause a soundcard not to work

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maliboost, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

edit: help me with my new problem, scroll down see post # 5

ok i got this Chaintech AV710 and I read that the included driver is junk, so i download some newer drivers install and the card works fine, then i notice that 2/3 of my programs in my start menu along with some icons on my desktop are gone, so i pull a system restore and get everything back, I then have to reinstall drivers for my card.

I get the newest one available, install restart, no sound, so I uninstall restart then i use the disc that came with the card with the version 1 driver, restart, no sound, uninstall drivers restart, this time i let windows detect drivers and install it's suggestion, restart no sound, i then take the original driver that caused me problems but worked , i install it, pop up says you are replacing new drivers with old ones is it ok , yes. restart and still no sound

so i have the same drivers that caused me to have to restore and they worked fine for me before but now they don't work. am i doing something wrong here?

switching back to onboard sound really sucks

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  2. skelm

skelm New Member

hmn.. Sounds weird but have your tried other speakers or headphones? Have you checked the card hasn't come loose?

Also, try completly removing the card in device manager and then when windows detects the advice point it to the drivers that worked before...

If that doesn't work see if you are getting any errors in the windows event log under system and paste screenshots of them here.

Instructions for pulling the event log below:

3. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

I did that, and reinstalled them manually, and it works now, thats weird because i've unistalled and reinstalled before and it didn't work. only this time i didn't restart my computer

thanks

4. skelm

skelm New Member

Ah well :big grin: It works and that's the main thing :)

5. Maliboost

Maliboost New Member

well it worked,but my new problem is when I reboot it won't work, i have to uninstall in device manager then reinstall the drivers then it works again

why would it do this? not a real big problem since my pc rarely gets shut off but it is annoying