A&P What camera should I look into?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Conundrum, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

I'm an architecture student and am really interested in doing some architectural photography, and photography in general. I think I'd like a 35mm SLR camera so that I can change lenses, shutter speeds, etc. I am new to photography... what would be a good starter camera? Thanks

2. nitro

nitro Guest

Yes, a 35mm SLR is a very good cameras for architecture. What do you prefer? Older camera with mechanical compoments or the newer cameras with electronics, auto focus, what? Any brand name that you prefer?

3. Merli

Merli gplus.to/merli OT Supporter

lenses suitable for architecture are quite expensive. Most consumer lenses exhibit barrelling which distort the straight lines that you will no doubt be trying to capture.

4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

Well, you might need to use tilt/shift lens, also known as PC (prespective control).

Specifically you might need a wide angle one... Both Nikon and Canon offers something like that. So, you might want to look into both systems... Nikon got 28mm and 85mm, while Canon got 24mm/45mm and 90mm.

If you ever consider going Digital in the long run, then I had recommand Canon to you. I am shooting Nikon, but switching to Canon. If you wanna start with digital, I had recommand the 300D to you if you don't mind the cheap looking body. You might want to get the 24mm f3.5L PC lens as well.

5. Conundrum

Conundrum New Member

Thanks for the input folks...

6. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

A good starter camera would be a used Minolta, Nikon or Canon. Wide angle lenses are a must for architecture. 28mm would be as wide as I would go. Anything wider and you really start to distort the image, especially on shots where the camera is tilted up because the vertical lines of a building will curve inward. A "normal" 50 or 55mm lens is valuable as well. Finally, a short telephoto like an 85 or 100mm lens will be helpful.

You can upgrade the camera body as you grow into photography and the lenses should last a lifetime. Eventually, you will probably want a large format camera and a swing/tilt lens for serious architecture photography. The swing/tilt lens allows you to achieve proper perspective without distorting the image on shots where the camera is tilted up.