A&P What camera settings? V. Blurred train passing by V. 35mm Nikon

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Ghostrider4450, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Im shooting b&W 35mm for a photography class. I want to get a shot of one of the many trains that pass through town every day. The locomotive is going to be framed by a highway overpass, where you can see the mountain range beyond.

I want to get one of two shots, one having the camera on a tripod and then snapping the pic at the right moment under the pass. (this would give the train motion blurs and everything else clear) The other could be handheld with a pan as the train passes, which would be an attempt to making everything else blurred out while keeping the front of the train clear.

Question is, what would you guys recommend for my camera settings?
    I was thinking ASA 125-200, f-22/16, Sp 1/125

:hsd:

Camera was given to me by my father who did freelance work a long time ago. Its an older Nikon FE2 with 3-4 Nikkor lenses. (35-120mm f3.4) Some macro lenses and a 24mm Nikkor wide.

[​IMG]

2. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

depends on how much ambient you have.

3. CombatWombat

CombatWombat oh shit, zombies bro

at f/22 the trains going to be pretty feint unless you have a lot of light, which I really doubt you will

depending how much blur you want, i'd got for about 1/3 shutter, 400 iso film, and use a light meter to work out what aperture to use.

4. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

If it's a sunny day you're going to need slower film or a neutral density filter. Look up "rule of sunny 16" in your photography book or elsewhere.

For the first shot, set your shutter speed to 1/30 sec and your aperture to whatever works with your combination of film speed + 1/30 sec. That's where you have to use your meter. You cannot preset your camera to a shutter speed/film speed/aperature setting combo without knowing what your ambiant light levels are. 1/30 sec will blur the train quite nicely.

For your second shot, if you're careful, you can use the same 1/30 sec. as long as you pan with the train exactly and you use a longer lens. Use a tripod to insure that you don't tilt the camera up and down while you pan. 1/60 of a second would be better if the train is moving fast. If it's moving too slow or you're using too wide a lens, you won't get the effect you seek.

5. Ghostrider4450

Okay perfect, thanks for the advice. Im so used to playing with digital, were you get instant results. It is fun however, having to wait until the dark room to find out how the pictures turned out.

6. aCab

aCab New Member

How fast will the train be going?n That's going to make all the difference.

7. aCab

aCab New Member

Can you not tell by the time you process the film?

I used to mess around with digital alongside my film camera just to test out settings and what not before I shot the film roll.

8. Ghostrider4450

I still haven't learned everything about photography yet, and I can imagine it will take awhile before I know exactly what to expect before developing my film.

The train will probably be moving around 35-45 mph. So at a pretty high rate of speed.

9. SuperCzar

SuperCzar Mac Crew, DSLR Crew

I read somewhere that for panning shots, a good approximation is that the shutter speed should be 1/mph...

It worked out OK for me when I went to the historic races at Laguna Seca.

10. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

35 miles per hour = 51.3333333 feet per second
    (51.333 / 125) * feet = 4.927968 inches

train will move about 5 inches in 1/125 :dunno: not enough for substantial blur

also you will probably want to use longer than 1/125 @f22, probably about double that - which will help with the blur. If you need more then you will need to swich to a lower asa or find an ND filter.