GUN What caliber is it???

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Paintballer, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Paintballer

Paintballer Choo Choooo....

I just aquired an Enfield from my grandfather, the only markings on the rifle are stamped into the "strap" looking piece from the bolt to the trigger area and it reads "1942". I can faintly see what looks like used to be stamped very lightly into it "E303" and that is also stamped on the side of the magazine that touched the trigger assembly area.

I assume the "E303" means it's a british 303 caliber, my grandfather said thats what caliber it was too. A few years ago i was going to take it to the range and stopped to buy some rounds for it at a local gun shop and the guy at the counter took a 303 round he had and showed me how it would'nt fith in the end of tha barrel and refused to sell me the rounds so that i wouldn't "blow myself up". Was he full of shit or is it really a .303?

2. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

You mean to tell me the bullet wouldnt go all the way into the muzzle? Thats unheard of! :eek5:

3. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Its a .303 British.

That dude was just a retard. Bullets don't slide out of the barrel like a spitball, they create a lot of friction and compress some what (Which is why rifling works) on the way down.

4. t1h

t1h Guest

the bullet should of been just slightly exposed.

sounds like its a Lee Enfield SMLE no. 4.

Does it look like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMLE

[​IMG]

or a Number 3

[​IMG]

but i think production of them ended in 1939 (of the no 3, the no 4 was produced for a while longer)

5. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

Yeah, they should just barely not fit.

But they did make enfield in 308 did they not? But i guess if it has 303 all over it its probably 303, not to mention 303 bullets may fit in to the muzzle of a 308.

6. Paintballer

I pretty much gave him a retarded ass look and walked out, thinking to my self, when the bullet comes out of the muzzel it gets compressed a lil that way it "molds" to the rifeling in the barrel to give it the spin. Havn't touched the rifle since, that was like 5 years ago.

Looks like the first pic but all of the wood from the top and the small fron section are non existant. I remember my grandpa saying somehting about it, he must have taken them off in the 60's or sometime........

7. Paintballer

The peep sight is back at the bolt and says MK III