GUN What caliber gun would you need to take down a bear? +survival tips?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Feb 3, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

First of all, my brother is a fucking idiot. But he was going to do an endurance motorcycle trip from somewhere along canada, north about 800 miles into the yukon, and back... But he had a dream where he died in the woods on a motorcycle. So he's going to take the next logical step and do it on a unicycle. ~1600 miles in -25* to 10*F weather (in May).

I know I can't talk him out of this and I know he'll do it (and I'm considering tagging along on a bicycle.) But I at least talked him into carrying a weapon to protect himself and hunt with. His main concern is bears, so to satisfy that, what kind of round will take a bear down? I think a .308 would do the trick, but I don't hunt so I don't know what it can do. Another thought was a shotgun. Keep it loaded with slugs for defense, and load it up with buckshot for small game. :dunno:

What does WMD think? Remember he's on a unicycle, so the smaller and lighter the better. Also, any other words of wisdom I can pass on.

2. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

3. terrist

terrist Cowboy President > All other World Leaders

How the fuck do you go from an enduro to a fucking unicycle

4. terrist

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

setsailforfail.jpg

reckon a .308 to the (right place) of the skull would bring it down. otherwise I am not sure...

12 gauge slug I reckon would be effective, although I don't know how effective it would be in stopping the bear immediately if shot in a place where it didn't disrupt the central nervous system. same as .308 really.

although honestly it seems his best option is to go with pepper spray that is made for repelling bears. its very strong stuff. maybe a big riot sized can of fox labs spray (which is for humans of course) would be effective as well. do note that if one somehow gets in between a mother and her cubs there is little that can be done

6. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Ruger MKIII with shot shells. This will definitely kill him dead. :cool:

I honestly have no idea how I can read this thread with a serious face.

7. reman

reman New Member

.45-70

8. terrist

With the .308 you are going to have to disable the bear with the first shot, and that 's not going to be an easy task with a 1,500lb grizzly charging at you. Same goes for the shotgun unless its semiauto.

I would go with a Smith & Wesson X frame. Faster follow up shots and less weight to carry around, but not much use for hunting
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...1&parent_category_rn=15703&top_category=15703

9. terrist

Not even the biggest fucking bear on this earth would dare start shit with a motherfucker carrying a .45-70 lever gun :eek4:

[​IMG]

10. This is one of the most bizarre threads I've ever seen. That being said, I'm sure a shotgun with slugs or a .308 would work. As you had mentioned that he'll be on a unicycle and size and weight is a concern, I guess you could go with one of the pistols listed above, but I think he'd need a lot of practice to effectively use such a crazy pistol.

Also, don't shoot bears in the head. Their skulls are so thick, and they are angled to the point that many shots from the front glance off the skull. You're better off shooting into the neck/chest area of the bear as it comes towards you. It's a bigger target anyways.

11. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Barrett .50 :x:

12. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Funny, I was just thinking about this last night (bear survival, not a unicycle trip :ugh: ). Here's what I'd carry.

1895XLR in .45/70 Gov't:
    [​IMG]

Using this as a backup:

S&W PC 460:
    [​IMG]

That's what I'd bring anyways if I was walking through bear country.

-Story time. Skip if not interested:

My father went on a Caribou hunt in Alaska several years back, which is home to many Kodiak (read: big, angry motherfuckers). He kepts his Dan Wesson .44mag strapped to his chest while walking through the woods, trying to track caribou. He said the sight of a kodiak's tracks would make your heart sink down to your ass. Length of their claws was approx. 4"!!! Oh, and apparently those things are fast enough to run down a quarter horse. Yea, fuck that.

Though, he (my father) is wanting to take me on a kodiak hunting trip within the next 5 years, so, looks like I'll have to do it sooner or later.

Cliffs: Don't fuck with bears.

*Edit*- After Wiki-ing Kodiak bears, it looks like they're endangered, so I'm not sure how my father plans on hunting them. :hsugh:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2008
  13. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

A unicycle? What the fuck?

Get the Taurus Judge: 4" barreled revolver chambered in both .410 and .45 Colt. .410 for small game, Colt rounds for anti-bear.

Also, you don't use buckshot for small game.

14. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

True "kodiak" bears are only found on Kodiak Island, hence their endangered status. In reality, they're just grizzly bears that get bigger because they have such an easy time feeding on salmon, which is what makes big bears big.

15. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

all you need is a .22, because shot placement is everything.

16. .45-70 Rounds seem to top out around 2000 ft-lbs. You can get slugs that make way more power than that. The problem with old cartridges, like the .45-70 is that back in the day when they were new (late 1800s) the technology wasn't available to utilize the true potential of a cartridge like that. Cylinder pressures have to be very low by modern standards. For example, most .45-70 loads are in the 21,000-25,000 psi range. Something more modern like a .308 is loaded up to 62,000psi. So, even though you have a big heavy bullet in the .45-70 you can't really get it moving fast enough to outmuscle much smaller modern cartridges.

17. AustinL911

Not exactly true. I was reading up on .45/70 vs. .450 Marlin last night and the concensus among reloaders was that .45/70 can be loaded up to around 3,700ft-lbs, making it a potent knock-down round. Here's just one example from Wiki:

300 (Strong) JHP2,275 ft/s (693 m/s)3,449 ft·lbf

"Today, the traditional 405 grain (26.2 g) load is considered adequate for any North American big game within its range limitations, including the great bears, and it does not destroy edible meat on smaller animals such as deer due to the bullet's low velocity. It is very good for big game hunting in brush or heavy timber where the range is usually short."

The typical, store bought .45/70 round is a a low pressure, heavy and slow round like you described. This, like you said, is because it was designed for older, less advanced firearms that couldn't handle much more. However, with today's technology, reloaders have been able to load .45/70 to much higher pressures, with much more effectiveness achieved out of the round. There are also companys that specialize in custom .45/70 loads if you're not able to do it yourself.

Just my observation and Wiki-ninjaness. :bigthumb:

18. AustinL911

Also, per my 'Ammo & Ballistics 3' book:

"Today's factory loadings are held to very mild levels because of these old guns, but handloaders have been known to push pressures up to 50,000psi in modern guns."

Max pressure: 28,000psi for factory loads.

Just some info...

19. Ok, that makes a bit more sense. Still, I'd rather have a modern load that matches the power, but in a much smaller package.

20. Yeah, you can handload much hotter if you have a newer gun. I guess ammo manufacturers don't want the liability of selling hot loads and having some guy go fire one out of his vintage rifle and have some catastrophic failure.

EDIT: The SAAMI spec is 28,000 psi maximum. Now, anyone can go load a cartridge real hot, but I'd be real wary of loading to almost twice the maximum SAAMI spec. Anyways, even loaded way above SAAMI spec modern cartridges are comperable when they're loaded within spec.

21. AustinL911

Exactly.

22. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

.700 Nitro Express

23. Section8

Section8 .

wtf unicycle endurance trip?

24. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

A Marlin Guide Gun or a shotgun with Slugs if you want a long gun or a big bore revolver for a sidearm.

25. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Yeah but you can't put a 400 grain bullet in a .308 either :hsugh: