What brand other than CREATIVE?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ZeKs, Apr 27, 2009.

1. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

I need a new soundcard that has both In/Out SPDIF, but don't want to buy creative from all the bad reviews I've read.

I'm looking at the HT Omega Striker 7.1, great reviews over at newegg. Just wondering what else is out there?

Don't really need a gaming card since the last game I played on my pc was COD 4.

2. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

CREATIVE Sound Blaster is the best. What did you read bad reviews on?

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

asus xonar series

i have a xonar dx and am very happy with it.

clear sound, bloatless drivers.

4. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

5. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829271001

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024

Those are the two card I was looking at. As for the bad reviews on creative, just the stuff I read from newegg mostly. And on a personal note my previous SB don't remember actual model this was like (8 years ago) sb live 5.1+ mp3 i think had hardware bass and treble enabled, the one I have now i think its audigy 2 5.1 doesn't have it. I read somewhere only they're most expensive stuff that those options enabled.

Oh my bad, I meant optical in/out.

6. Boomdart

Boomdart New Member

I've always used soundblaster and wouldn't even think about using something else.

I have a pretty old soundblaster audigy platinum right now but it still works perfect. I think it's an audigy 2? can't remember. I bought it new in late 2003 I think.

7. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

what do you mean 'hardware' bass and treble.

What is the source that will be inputted into the SPDIF on the soundcard? AFAIK creative cards will only accept a 2 channel source of SPDIF. And the Xonar for some reason converts all 2 channel sources over SPDIF in to 5.1

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sound Blasters sound good, but they don't have front audio outputs.

M-Audio sound cards are just as good, and conform to standard plug designs. M-Audio was recently acquired by DigiDesign, manufacturer of the best audio editing software and hardware on the market -- even pro recording engineers use it.

9. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

Well honestly I don't know if it's hardware or not but with my older SB I could slide the bar in "Advanced Controls for Playback Control" both bass and treble..with this SB I have now, that option is "grayed out".

Well the source was going to be my ps3. I bought a new monitor with HDMI (S2409W) my fault that I didn't read that it would also pass audio via the HDMI. So I might just hold off on the sound card for a bit. I am reading whenever it goes silent(source) the audio turns off and slowly fades back in when it detects audio again. (http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19241208/19367780.aspx)