COMIC what brand name computer would you buy?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by babygodzilla, Feb 24, 2007.

1. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

BESIDES Apple and/or Sony.

Hello OTCC,

this is off topic but...

im tired of building my own systems and fuckin em up. i usually get a kick out of it, i like problem solving, and i liked a fucked up system. but not anymore.

so for my next computer im just gonna buy a ready-to-go brand-name computer. which brand/model would you recommend?

NOT Apple/Sony

Thanks

2. Jesterkiller

Jesterkiller ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light?

ive had dell computers. they were pretty good
    the computer i have now is an Alienware :o

3. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

I've got my 6 year old Compaq still...:hsugh:

But i'd say Alienware or Gateway. HP is still decent i suppose... Just don't go anywhere near Dell unless it's with a big fucking hammer.

4. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

if you got the money, alienware

5. droopz

droopz New Member

Alienware is way over priced. Paya decent shop to nuild you one to your specs. Much better value that way.

6. axio

axio New Member

I looked into this a few weeks ago when buying mine. I use it mostly for photoshop, mild video editing (vhs to dvd conversions), comic reading, internet, and website coding. Apple and Sony were just too pricey. I didn't want to spend $3000 on a computer. Gateway, HP, etc didn't really make me happy either.

So I settled on a Dell. For $1500 I got an ultrasharp 20 monitor, a core processor, vista, etc.

I prob could have built it for cheaper, but I was too lazy for all that noise.

7. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

I'd go Dell/Gateway mainly to avoid the pre-loaded software that always comes with the other brands like Compaq and HP.

I've owned Packard Bell, Dell, Compaq, HP, and Gateway compys. I'd say the best I've owned is the Gateway I have now. It can run any game smoothly and only cost me $1100. I was actually focused on getting a Toshiba, but the best deal by far was this Gateway (laptop, btw.) It has an AMD processor, so the battery life ain't grand, but this is pretty much a portable desktop for me. And Gateway has nice support. VERY nice support. And fixlets. I'm sure Dell does too.

However, I'd just go to Best Buy.com or in person and see what they have for deals. Check out online anyway to see if they have online only sales; the store will match it fully. And the people there know their products.

8. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

apple

9. Bobbot

Bobbot Safer than a Doombot!

:rofl:

10. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I never really had any problems with gateway. Stay the fuck away from Compaq though, the system I bought new from circuit city had a faulty vid card, compaq replaced it (after waiting over a fucking month), and the card died again a couple days later. They told me the monitor must be frying it, and to buy a new monitor, even though the monitor came with the fucking pc. They can eat a dick and die.

11. Disguy

Disguy Batman > Moon Knight OT Supporter

12. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

sigh ok thanks for the replies. didnt help much... someone said get a dell, someone said approach a dell with a hammer... lol

and someone STILL said apple :squint:

ok actually i DONT need a monitor, i already have one (two actually) flat panels and they work fine. in terms of returning/replacing shit that are broken, which company is the best?

also, i think i read last year that Dell is sucking. they reduced costs by using cheaper parts. so their comps are generally suckier

oh also, another thing about Dell. they dont offer to put in a PCI Wireless card? i need it since this comp is gonna be in the bedroom and the router is quite far, in the living room. did u guys find this option (Axio?) or am i missing something? i saw HP offers it. Dell only has USB adapters, and those arent very good for desktops...

Axio: wat was it about HP that you didnt like?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  13. gthesob

gthesob the fun machine took a shit and died OT Supporter

That's easy enough to add later. It's only one thing and shouldn't be a problem for someone who's built his own computers in the past.

14. ae86drift

ae86drift (00) × NU.RIOT

just build a box
    its brainless really....

15. HamTard

HamTard New Member

build it yourself or get a dell, if you have money and game but are afraid to build it yourself the dell xps line (with coupons) are the best prebuilt gaming rigs for the money you can find

16. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I have an HP that I really like. Core 2 Duo, 2x250gb HDD, 2GB RAM, GeForce 7300, etc.

17. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

I got myself an HP in 2003 from Best Buy, cost me like $600 for just the tower and I still use it today. I upgraded the ram (from 512 to 1gig) and got myself a cheap video card (they generally use integrated), and it's fine. If I had the money, i would update the shit out of it, but I don't and I deal with mediocrity. I can run any game, Doom 3 (before I got a video card and used integrated), Vanguard, BF2142, whatever, they work.

18. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

19. void

void oh yeah?

dude, more then half of this shit all comes from the same factory or company. brand loyalty is just that, like me, i bought my first dell three years ago and loved it, now i'm on my thrid. it really doesn't matter, but you get what you pay for. check around www.slickdeals.net and wait for some crazy discount at dell or circuit city. that's how i got my dell 9150 3.2ghz P4, 512mb, 160gb hd, 16x dvd burner, and a 24" widescreen monitor for $950 :eek5:

20. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

:mamoru:

21. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

well since u have had many Dells, tell me something, is it hard to "upgrade" them? i was told that Dell makes proprietary disk bays and whatnot that makes it hard, if not impossible, to plug in your own hard drive.
    all i want is to plug in this extra hard drive i have that contains all my music, that's all... but someone in the computer/programming forum scared me with this proprietary shit. is it true? can i plug in my own HDD into a Dell desktop?

from Dell:
    whats that mean "external" bay?

22. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

Anything pre-made is a bitch to upgrade...if you want to toss in a couple things, like a new HD, vid card, etc it isn't so bad, but anything major like a processor? You might as well rebuild the entire thing, and get a new case while you're at it cause they generally don't fit anything but pre-made shit.

I went through a comp upgrade period...got a high end vid card, but realized my power supply couldn't handle it, so I went to upgrade the power supply to find out it wasn't compatible with the pos mobo. To upgrade the mobo, I would have to upgrade nearly everything else along with it, since the ram was specific to that type of mobo, and the vid card I had just bought was AGP, and I could only find PCI-Express mobo's. It sucked, I basically just returned everything and bought a low end vid card that would hold me over.

23. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

huh? why would a PSU not be compatible with a Mobo? it just delivers power :dunno: different plugs?

24. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

theres a bunch of different style plugs, but also adapters that can be had for cheap from newegg. i ran into this problem the last time i built a computer and my dumb ass had to order three different adapters before i got the right one

25. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

oh i see...

well see? its shit like that that gives me MORE reason to NOT build my own comp nemore. i just dont wanna deal with it :dunno: