MIL What branch to join if I'm Looking into IT jobs

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JoeMayo, Feb 19, 2008.

1. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

What brand and which jobs do they offer for computer,IT,database,networking type training.
    Heard I'd be more desirable with a security clearance in the civilian world

Thanks
    Joe

2. evan2

evan2 Guest

3. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

Speaking from being a Navy IT, and working with Marine IT's (while they are on board a ship)....

Navy: IT has two fields, radio and what we call ADP (the computer side). You have no choice in which field you are going to be doing. A school will teach you both sides of the rate, you'll get orders to a ship as a 0000 (no specialized NEC). Very rarely will you get a C school out of A school (if your a hot chick it helps a lot). In all honesty most new people go to the radio side, new people only go to ADP if a body is needed from what I've seen. So you're taking a gamble there. If you work in radio you'll get a TS clearance, most ADP people will have TS, but it isn't as high of a priority. What you learn in the Navy for computer side will probably not help you in the civilian world fyi, it's all very basic troubleshooting that you could learn in a day by doing an A+ cert and reading "IT's for dummies". You'll be working with old equipment, old operating systems, and a lot of systems you will not see outside the military.

Marines get a bigger budget, have new equipment, pretty much got what they wanted when they asked. They got better schools, better training, and same clearance. One of the big downsides I saw was you are still in the Marines, they're less brainwashed than your average grunt however that level of discipline is still there. A SSGT will fuck your world up, while in the IT world rank is so easy to make it's not as big of a deal.

4. evan2

evan2 Guest

How do the marines get a bigger budget? they get leftovers from the Navy and get the least money of all of us

AF gets the most

5. widds2v

widds2v Active Member

marines got whatever they wanted on our ship, they were 2 generations in hardware and OS's versus the navy, and they got to run vanilla 2003, not spawar infested shit.

6. evan2

evan2 Guest

You should really google military budgets, getting what you want from war funds and your actuall military budget is far diff

funds prob come from the same site code....Marines get the least money of all branches

7. evan2

evan2 Guest

Navy needs old stuff since they talk funny and the computer cannot understand

8. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

AF

3c0, 3c2, 2e2 etc

9. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

good luck getting into the air force now

10. evan2

evan2 Guest

Just tell them you know Evan2, I got at least 3 invites left

11. dura

dura Guest

The Army's 25 series is worth a look at too. A lot of the newer shelters are utilizing off the shelf equipment and the experience will help in the civilian world.

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

The Army offers better training, and newer equipment. The AF is behind technolgy wise.

13. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Isn't the USAF cutting back on 3C slots?

14. raand

raand New Member

ARMY Signal

15. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

Look into joining the Army as a 25B. Youll be plenty busy maintaining the LAN and doing just about everything you can think of in automations. all 25B must have a secret clearance minimum. I just had the 25B's in my shop upgraded to TS as well. In addition to on the job experience, youll get the majority of your training from Cisco.

16. JoeMayo

JoeMayo New Member

With this Do I job train in this field first or am I on the first plane to iraq?

17. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Roger that.

There isn't a new system we use that doesn't have a Cisco router or switch. Our TOC has at least 5 Dell servers in it and so many computers it isn't even funny anymore. And this is my Army National Guard unit...

18. dura

dura Guest

I believe the 25B course at Ft. Gordon lasts for 20 weeks. You will train on all equipment and be familiar with it before you arrive at your first unit. While you are in AIT you will not be deployed. I'm a 25N and it took me 6 months of school plus BCT to get to my unit. Once you're there, you may catch up to a unit already downrange, arrive at a unit that is deploying, or possibly at one that isn't going anywhere. It all depends on where you end up at and at what time.

19. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

wtf i havent seen that sn in the better part of a year

20. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

Just FYI,

The IT/IS at least in the USAF is so compartmentalized that when you get out, your opportunities are only limited to very large corporations as you are not training/trained with an IT Generalist Mindset. So even if you get out you will have to serve in the ranks of help desk, end user support, lower level network support unless you had prior IT experience. The fact of being in the military is worth more than being "IT" in the military. (Or going with the DoD contractor/TS SCI route)

Been out for 3 years, former USAF 2E2 - I had to work my ways through the ranks even with 3 years of prior IT experience when I had joined. I am now the acting Network/Security Engineer for a large law firm in Nashville, TN but I had to "get my feet wet" and started back in a computer repair shop but made very precise upward moves. Best advice, work for an IT Services company - the amount of experience you would get within a 2 year time frame will prepare you and help you understand what you enjoy and to what direction you are wanting to go in your career.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008