What Box Should I Buy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HokiestoneD, Sep 2, 2002.

1. HokiestoneD

HokiestoneD HOKIE

ok i have a 96 monte carlo which has a pretty decent size enclosed trunk. i have 2 12" Rockford Punch subs (kinda old by today's standards) and my old box was a nice bandpass but got broken in my accident. i am wondering what type of box is the best for my car. i just got 100 dollars for my birthday and an enclosed box is 100 dollars (perfect) and a bandpass box is 150. is an enclosed box good enough for my car or would it be worth the extra 50 dollars to get the bandpass box? thanks for your help...

:confused: :confused:

2. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

Dont get the bandpass prefab band pass= muddy panckae at one note sound

make surew the pre fab is the proper size

3. xivera

xivera Active Member

Say no to bandpass.
    You'll love the punch of a sealed box...
    or you could go w/ a vented/ported box.

4. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

building your own is the best way to go if you ahve any kind of skills

5. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

You should go with a ported box im not a fan of banpass or sealed. If you wana be loud then you have to go ported theirs no other way to get loud. How much space are working with in ure trunk?

6. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

uhh wrong
    bandpass will be louder than a ported and you wont notice much differnce between a sealed and a ported in terms of loudness on a mic yes it makes a differnce but to yoru ears the sealed will sound much better

7. 04

04 Guest

Uh, your both wrong. That is too general of a statement to be making. Depending on the woofer being used and the interior of the car, a vented may be better than sealed and visa versa. A vented enclosure has the capability of more output than a sealed, 3dB infact. If tuned sickly high, you can gain MORE than 3dB of output.

The sealed is not neccisarily going to sound better.

And the vented will probably be louder than a sealed, given all other variables are equal.

8. DSHR

DSHR Well-Known Member

I never said one box type was better than another i was giving my opion and personal experience.I'm not a fan of sealed or banpass boxes or any box thats prefab.

A high tuned box was point exactly given the same size as a sealed the ported box would prevail. Theirs no way a sealed or bandpass is going to be louder than a ported box tuned to 35+ hertz

9. HokiestoneD

HokiestoneD HOKIE

to the person who asked how much space i am working with the monte carlo is i would say a mid-sized car and would prolly have the trunk space of a taurus (that is what comes to mind) or any mid-sized 5-seater family sedan type car. it is sealed off from the rest of the car so it is just the trunk. i think a bandpass box witll be too expensive for my taste considering i don't have too much money. so should i go with sealed or ported that is the question? i have 2 rockford subs which are rated at 400 watts peak and a pioneer amp that will feed about 200-300 watts to each sub. that is the basic info i know about it...

10. 04

04 Guest

Actually you said that you have to go ported, because thats the only way to go loud. Hornloaded or Bandpass enclosures could have more output than a ported box, though not necessarily.

A bandpass can be louder than the ported box tuned to 35hz. First of all, we need to know the frequency being played. the tuning points and passband as well. We also need to know the Q of the system. If your frequency being played is rather high, a sealed enclosure can have a higher peak at the given frequency than the ported.

11. 04

04 Guest

To clear things up a bit I have attached a jpeg with 3 different enclosures for a Blueprint 1803 driver. One is a sealed enclosure, one is ported, and one is bandpass.

The Yellow is sealed. .75cuft enclosure volume. As you can see at frequencies above ~90hz it has more output than the other enclosures.

The Blue is 4th order bandpass. You can see that there is a huge peak centered at ~50hz. At around that frequency it beats the other two enclosures.

Finally we have the Green line. It is for the vented enclosure 9cuft in volume tuned to 35hz as your request. It is louder than the other two enclosures at 40hz.

So which one is louder, bandpass, sealed, or ported? Without specifying a frequency, the answer is a YES! :p

[​IMG]

12. 04

04 Guest

Oh, and I am not condoning any of those enclosures as being very good to use...

They were merely example boxes to show how unless you consider all the variables, you can get a bad answer. The even more odd thing is if we were to measure those enclosures in freespace, we would find that the frequency response would not match up perfectly with what WINISD provides. The computer software only provides a suggestion and cannot be used as the "Defacto" truth.

13. 04

04 Guest

Well it depends, do you want a more flat frequency response combined with more low end extension, or a lot of output?

So basically do you want loud bass or accurate bass?

14. flynfrog

flynfrog Cool isnt Cheap

another point to add a sealed requires teh least amout of work to build

since im guessing its his first box sealed will provide the least chance to fuck up

and in genral sealed has the flatest response
    ported usaly has a small peak around the tunning frequency
    bandpass usaly has the steepes drop off but a larg boost in peak frequncy

yes there are execptions to the rule but it works for a good rule of thumb

this isnt even concidring TL passive radiator and the umptten other box types out there