What ATA Raid card

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I have 2 PATA drives I would like to run in Raid 1.
    Whats a decent card to do this? I was looking on newegg would a simple $20 card work or is there a reason there are more expensive cards besides the fact of Raid 3 and 5 support?

I also found a card that has both sata and pata ports and supports raid. Which would work out nice because I also have 1 SATA drive on an addon card at the moment.

So if I could use 1 card to run the 2 ATA drives in Raid 1 and the SATA in normal that would be excellent.

any suggestions?

2. Kieffer87

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

rosewill cards suck. i bought a rosewill card, might have been that one, it said it did raid 1 and raid 0, but it seriously did not. other people also could not get it to do raid at all, it might have been an older firmware, maybe they have fixed it since then
    who cares, it was like $15, worked great for adding 4 pata drives though

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

This is an all-around bad idea. IDE was never intended to be RAIDable; it doesn't have the latency limitations in place that keep drives from appearing to have failed when they haven't. IDE RAIDs need rebuilding all the damn time because of this.

Put the IDE drives in some external enclosures and move up to SATA. It's much more practical to RAID SATA disks.

5. Kieffer87

Thanks for the input guys, with that being said I think I will just wait for a good deal on some 500gb sata drives. Add more space and become more reliable at the same time.