What are your thoughts on Piracy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ridley, May 20, 2005.

1. Ridley

Ridley Guest

Seriously, does anybody have a sense of ethics on the internet anymore? This week I've hung out in the HTML, PHP and C++ chat rooms on irc.gamesurge.net (for lack of anything better to do) and I'm outraged by some of the comments I've seen.

One person saw nothing wrong with writing a program to parse the source of somebody's website, grab data out of it, then use it on his own website.

Another saw no problem with ripping a cd he just bought into mp3 format, then allowing the music to be streamed from his website.

Countless people tried to defend their "right" yes they actually used the word "right" to pirate photoshop because "the cd only cost them $0.72 to make".

Hello? they didn't pay those programmers anything did they?

Another web forum I was on had people bragging about downloading doom3 just minutes after it hit store shelves. Their justification: "why pay for a game if i might not like it". my question "have you ever bought one after you downloaded it and liked it?" "of course not".

It just sickens me. No wonder there's no jobs available for CS people. Nobody pays for anything anymore, nor do they feel they need to.

It's sick, really.

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree. Even on this forum it's sick. It amazes me how someone can spend $400 on a video card, and then another $1000 on other parts, but still complain that Windows is too expensive, and ends up pirating it. It's all bullshit.

There are dumbasses that argue that bittorrent is legal -- but the majority (99%) of it's use is definitely illigal.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I don't believe in intellectual property, or in other words: your ability to "own" information.

The historical reasons for intellectual property no longer hold. It is a useless framework, and must be dismantled if we are to take advantage of the myriad benefits of a networked world.

So there you go...

4. TracerBullet

TracerBullet Active Member

Not everything is black and white. If you think making a copy of data that you wouldnt have paid for to begin with is as bad as stealing the proverbial loaf of bread you need to start thinking a little deeper.

5. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

if i use software for educational purposes and do not make a profit from it, then recommend it to others who WILL pay for it, i don't see anything wrong with that. but if i make money from it or otherwise use it commercially you bet your ass i have a license

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I strongly agree that the construct of intellectual property needs to be redefined so that progress is the catalyst and not profit...

7. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Intellectual property is a purely commercial construct. Otherwise you have little need for copy protection. Along those lines, for businesses to be willing to invest in technology, they have to have expectations that they will be able to protect that property otherwise there's no use for it.

There are some aspects of open source that are very beneficial but it doesn't necessarily apply to all aspects of business.

My company holds over 120 patents on its technology in my division/product line while our primary competitors hold under 10 each. To get to this point my company has dropped tens of millions of dollars into programmers and engineers to make it the best available, purchasing other companies for their technology along with keeping tight tabs on functional details to retain its competitive advantage.

Without intellectual property protections, everytime we ship out a box...any random guy could just take it apart and copy every aspect of it thereby removing our incentive to push this technology at all. That said, I don't necessarily agree with the thought that you should patent any obscure and unenforcible thought since that does more to stifle development.

8. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I don't mean to sound like a communist, I truly feel that software developers desearve to profit from thei innovation, I just feel that the time frames on patents need to be shortened to reflect the actual pace of the software and hardware market. In other words , let companies profit from innovation but make it so that they won't profit from slow releasing shit.

9. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

I am against piracy, and against those who participate in such acts, but I feel I can be hypocritical at times, because I do pirate whenever I need something quickly. I do, however, purchase all music albums that I have downloaded, as for software, I havn't pirated any software in a long time.

10. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

I admit I prirate everything I have (software based).
    I *know* i should feel bad, but I don't. The information age brought this technology and I'd be missing out if I didn't DL CD, apps, and OS.

On the other hand, I have made thousands of dollars in purchase request when it comes to my company. I pay for all of our OS, apps, and programs.

I'm not saying I'm justified for DL priated stuff, but IMO the majority of revenue comes from companies who license software each and every month.

Oh, BTW...even the programers at my work priate stuff (personal use ofcoarse.).

11. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

yet another reason why open source software > *

12. Apothis

Apothis New Member

I fully agree that creators should be compensated for their efforts. But to what end? Entering the public domain is inevitable, ..legally or not. Let's look at music copyrights for a second. As I recall, the granted monopoly was supposed to last for 7 years, then it becomes public property for the benefit of society. Then it ended up being extended to the lifetime of the creator, which was a bad idea, imo. Not sure how I feel about someone forever reaping the benefits of one act. But anyway, now a copyright holder doesn't even need to be the original creator. What we have now is music, "protected" for the lifetime of corporations. It is never again intended to become public domain, so long as they can continue to extort profits from it. Sorry, that's going too damn far.

But that's pretty much the attitude all intellectual property is taking these days. It's more and more taking an anti-consumer approach for the sake of corporate greed. Do you even realize how far behind, technologically and socially, we are compared to what we could have been by now, if not for greed? Progress should never be held hostage with dollars, but more often than not it is. Money also drives progress, but nowadays (and past few decades at least), I think it's become more of a hinderance to it. This is a huge reason why we are entering into the OSS age so much more now. Progress for its own sake, for us all, not for profit.

Most of us value our freedom, and it generally goes without saying that we can do what we want with what we purchase. If I buy a CD, I'll certainly copy it. I'll may even share it with a few friends if they're interested. The RIAA will say all I bought was a plastic coaster, and they forever own the data. Ok, go ahead and think that, and kiss my ass while they're at it. The fact is, piracy is unavoidable. It will always be there, and for every measure against it, there is a counter made the next day. Expecting everybody to always pay for everything is just not even close to realistic.

That particular point isn't a justifcation for anything, but a fact of life none the less. So a company only makes 300 million in profits instead of the 400 they were aiming for. They claim they lost 100 million to pirates. Of couse the majority of them probably wouldn't have paid for it anyway. Can you lose something you never really had? Is it really theft if nothing was really "taken"? If somebody steals your car, they have it now and you don't. If somebody downloads a song or program, does the copyright holder no longer have it? Can they no longer sell it to other people? (who are honest or dumb enough to pay for it, depending on the situtation) It is for these reasons that claims of "damages" from piracy are pretty much total BS. Still, that doesn't necessarily make it right, but I would say that it makes it not nearly as wrong as some people claim.

And now: I conclude this long post of random nonsense, to cook some pizza.

Last edited: May 21, 2005
  13. Spaawn7

Spaawn7 New Member

It depends on the software. I don't think over-charging is ok. If photoshop was 50 bucks I'd buy it but I don't wnna spend $600+ for editing some family photos or make funny pictures of my friends. Pirating is Ok when it's not for commercial use at all. Games are a gray area.

14. MrMan

MrMan New Member

Assuming that 99% of its use is illegal, that does not make the program itself illegal. The concept of peer-to-peer network is a beneficial one. Why have one server handle all the work for hundreds of clients at one time, when you could have multiple clients act as servers, causing less stress and bandwidth on the main server? Of course, then comes the politics and news of pirating over these type of networks, causing the public to believe that it's main purpose is for piracy. Why... because Napster was the first. And the intention of its author was to do just that... share mp3s. However, I don't see how ANY software written by a developer can be illegal.

Nmap, a popular hacking tool... also a popular security tool. Illegal?

Back to the subject, piracy... it's not good.