What are your thoughts on lane splitting?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by VBGOD, Aug 5, 2002.

1. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Is lane splitting legal in your state? If it's illegal, do you just drive through the gridlock (instead of being stuck between two cars/trucks)? If it is illegal, I can't see how the cops would ever get though a sea of heavy traffic to write you a summons.
  2. Guest

Guest Guest

it's only legal in CA AFAIK. I might consider it depending on the situation though.

YAMOTA Guest

If it were legal here, I'd definitely do it
  4. Prelude Ed

Prelude Ed Guest

the only time i do that is in dead-stopped or barely crawling traffic.
  5. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

You guys are right. :(

I just checked, and it's illegal in NY and NJ.
  6. car54

car54 Guest

If the traffic is either extremely slow or dead stopped I cruise down the shoulder. Ive been pulled over by many cops and always let go because I explain to them that my bike overheats if it aint movin and I didnt wanna cause an accident if it overheated in the road :rofl: it always works.. they apologize and tell me good luck.. I guess it looks like such a POS they dont bother arguing.
  7. Guest

Guest Guest

I think you're better off lanesplitting (or filtering as they call it in the UK lol) less crud, gravel, 2x4's etc than on the shoulder, not to mention people trying to exit
  8. car54

car54 Guest

I take my ZX-11 offroading... Theres nothing on the shoulder that scares me. :cool:
  9. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

Oct 25, 2001
    I live in California too, so it is legal to lane split. Like people have already posted, it`s okay to lane split on craling and stopped traffic. Oh when police cars can`t get around the gridlock they call in a motorcycle unit.
  10. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Apr 17, 2001
    Uh, paint is pretty slick and your tires aren't getting much traction if they're bouncing off the reflectors.

I'll do it coming to a stop light, but I don't do it while traffic is moving.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

next time you drive down the freeway look at all the shit tossed off onto the shoulder.
    also, there's enough room to ride just off to one side of the paint and reflectors usually.
  12. catfishez

catfishez Guest

I just spent a month in California and just about everyone I saw on a bike does it.. So I began to do it here where as I didn't do it before because I felt it wasn't good ediquet to "cut" . but as I considered it , You have almost no change of being rearended if you lanesplit ... my 2 cents.
  13. mnewell

mnewell Lucy.

Aug 3, 2001
    I never lanesplitted in my prior time riding a bike. It's illegal here in Washington. About 10 days ago I was leaving work and a Mariners game was getting out at the same time. Traffic was backed up for blocks and my normal 5 minute commute was dragging onto be about 30 minutes.

I said fuck it and passed everyone on the shoulder. I didn't haulass and was pretty careful about it. If I didn't lanesplit, I would have been in traffic for another good hour.

I did it and I'll do it again. :bigthumb: