MMA What are your guys' thoughts?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Placebo, May 20, 2006.

1. Placebo

Placebo New Member

http://www.jeanjacquesmachado.com/onlinetraining/index.php

When he was training and doing the seminar up here he was pushing this pretty hard. It actually looks pretty cool and is reasonable at $25 a month.

What are your guys' thoughts and do any of you know anyone that is signed up for this?

2. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I don't understand the concept of learning BJJ by distance. Maybe to polish your existing game, learn new tricks, etc... I don't know how you could teach the finesse points of grappling tho. I just don't see it.

3. Swipe

Swipe New Member

Maybe as a supplement to training, but definately not a replacement. If I was to look into my chrystal ball I think I'd see alot of lazy wannabe grapplers taking it online and thinking they're badass.

4. Placebo

Placebo New Member

It's apparently just a really good, dynamic instructional with a bunch of perks added.

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

anything having to do with the actual learning process of a martial art, especially things such as ground fighting and grappling, it's extremely important to have a teacher show you right from wrong and etc.

With striking arts it is easier to learn stuff from video, but even then, you need a professional or at least experienced practitioner to give you guidance, and at least one training partner so you can practice.

Videos are great for tweaking your game and adding some knowledge to your base, but definitely not to build the base with. I'm somewhat hypocritical because I started doing muay thai from videos and observation, but I've had a long history of boxing and sparring at a gym so I'm more comfortable based on that experience and the fact that I've trained in striking taking hits. Plus after a few months I knew I needed an experienced opinion so I sought guidance from someone who had been doing MT for years. I say get the vids if you want, maybe mess around with a friend after watching it together just to get the feel for it, but I reccomend taking classes or finding an experienced practitioner in your area to help you learn.

6. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I'm actually a blue belt and train under a machado blackbelt and a few browns. This is a lot more than a few tapes and it comes with a number of perks for relatively cheap. The only reason that I am considering this is because JJ is an amazing instructor and most of the techniques that he teaches are completely new to me even though I train 10+ hours a week with people from all over.

7. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I know you're experienced, my post was more for general purposes.

Going by what I said you've already got a great base, something like this would definitely add to it. Greenlight. :bigthumb:

8. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

of course he's pushing this...it's $25/mo with no overhead

besides, what're the chances of somebody recording it and giving accessability via tracker?

9. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

placebo, when are you coming to LA!

10. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Supposedly somewhere between late june and early july. I've got the money and everything. I just need to get the money from both of my buddies for the tickets. One is a purple that is 5-0 in mma and the other is just a friend of mine who is starting out.

I'm going to talk to them either Monday or Tuesday.

Hit me up on aim: CCPearch05

11. Placebo

Placebo New Member

To be honest with you, I'm just as interested in the perks associated with it as I am with the actual techniques. Money isn't that much of an issue.

12. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

It seems worthwhile if you can afford it. Getting a belt under machado would be awesome.

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

JJ in particular.