A&P What are you views on photoshopping photography?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Mippity, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Mippity

Mippity New Member

I think that unless you are doing something that can be done it the darkroom like brightening or cropping, its perverting photography.*
    Is it really photography after you apply all of the filters and touch everything up?I think the line is crossed at this point and you can be manipulating the public/viewers.
    It lowers the value of someone's ability to actually take the picture right the first time.

I do understand and support exceptions for advertising or portraits.

*Please avoid dumb exceptions like "You can't save to .jpg in the darkroom"

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Everyone does it.

3. Ardore

Ardore Guest

I think they're two completely different forms of art.

I love film, I love B&W especially, and I love spending time in a darkroom knowing that the special effects were done by me and that there are few people that are willing to take the time involved to learn, or have the creativity to look at a negative and see that it can be cropped, or to try something else...

I also love computers though, and all of the special effects that photoshop can do to a picture. I normally don't "manipulate" pictures myself anyway. Yes I will adjust the color to what I know I really saw, or take out color in the rest of the picture and leave it in one place..

Then again, I might have more appreciation for photoshop because I do know how time consuming small touch ups can be when done by hand :dunno:

4. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I see no problem with it. :dunno: As long as you don't do :greddy: filters and other useless garbage.

I use PS for:
    - Levels
    - Curve
    - Brightness/contrast

5. jTranz

jTranz Lost in Translation

I don't see a problem with it either as long as you are using Photoshop to enhance or correct the original shot... such as the things mentioned already. Some digital cameras take 'soft' shots. You'll need to apply an unsharp mask to some shots to get your desired results. Color correctioning, touch up on portraits, they're all fine as long as you don't go overboard by over enhancing and augmenting certain aspects of people... like I've seen done before. :ugh2: