WEB What are the most important key(s) to solid web design/development

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Necromancer, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I know this is a pretty broad question but I mean, if a client wanted a simple 'web2.0' website that was nicely laid out, easy interface/navigation, etc. but nothing too fancy or that involves server side stuff, what do you think?

Seems like CSS is truly the backbone to a great looking, easy to maintain, quick loading site. I've been using photoshop to slice up then export via XHTML my layouts but that means it just loads up a bunch of images and lays it out in tables. While it's easy to get a nice looking website up and running, it really isn't 'up-to-date' on the back end.

I was just thinking about this earlier and figured I'd ask. :o

2. whomadewho

whomadewho Ohhh FCN Ohhhhh FCN!

isn't the whole concept of web 2.0 the server side end of it? the interaction of the user? without it, there is no 2.0. as far as slicing up images with tables, that's something that is too old to still do in my opinion. It's all about clean code which you can have when you have CSS handle it. If you're doing websites for yourself, you most likely want it to be SEO optimized to the best of your ability. You're already taking one step back when using tables, and images. Might as well spend time and patience learning a bit of CCS. Most of the stuff you learn while doing it anyway.

As far as solid web development, you have to know multiple platforms and languages, otherwise you're just making very simple websites (like me :big grin: )

3. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

Intersting question, one of the most important keys I think is to recognize that being a solid web designer does not mean you are a solid web developer and vise versa.
    Design is something that is not easily learned and is generally talent orientated. You can be book smart on the devlopment end, but if you do not have an "eye" for design, your sites will fail.

Its perfectly fine not to be a artistic designer, just as long as you understand that.

For me, I am great at animation and video, always been that way. Taking to flash was easy. Now, incorporating that functionality into a website and the "code" end of it all has always been a challenge.

4. Necromancer

Necromancer Guest

I know a decent amount of CSS to get me by, I just haven't applied it yet. I really need to though. :o

I always thought of the 'web2.0' thing to be looks and interaction between interface and user. I've heard so many definition of 'web2.0'

Thanks for the input. :wiggle:

5. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

there really isnt a solid definition of web2.0
    To me, i think its functionality over flashy looks.
    More customers are interested in achieving function from their web experiences than entertainment.
    Web2.0 also means being able to streamline activities that used to take multiple tasks in web1.
    Example, ajax when implemented properly should seemlessly bring the user beyong "point and click" eperiences to one nice flowing session with their application.

Look at how googlemaps and most of googles applications take what used to require multple mouse clicks and movements down to just click/drag etc.
    Google maps and its seemless interface with the mouse is years ahead of web1. Compare it to the old map sessions from competitors years ago and you will know what i mean.