What are the effects of fasting for one day?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by evh, Oct 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evh

evh Active Member

Say that the given diet of this individual is that of pur's. He keeps to it normally, 7 days a week, 1-2 cheatmeals a week, and works out 5 days a week. His workout schedule being [on/on/on/off on/on/off repeat] with cardio on off days.

How would fasting for an entire day (off day) effect this individual? I don't even know where to start with this, but I don't think that the effects would be negligible... someone help me out here please.

2. daneeyah

daneeyah Guest

I fasted for a month and lost a few lbs of muscle.. didn't notice that big of a difference when I got back into the gym afterwards. Was weak at first but was able to pick up fairly quickly.

I doubt just one day would hurt... [​IMG]

3. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

oh great did you ditch your sweet anabolic diet already?

4. Drewski

Drewski New Member

5. Formz

whoa name change

6. Stilgar

Stilgar New Member

I'd wager the effects would extend only as far as feeling a lack of energy the following 1 or 2 days.

7. Rojo Johnson

Rojo Johnson Active Member

You fasted for a month?

8. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

no, this thread is related to his "I just took some adderall!!1!" thread in the main forum...where he concentrated on making even more shitty posts, but apparently not eating. Now they are trying to figure out how to scam a doctor into writing him a prescription.

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3975152

9. 4cd-Air

4cd-Air Rape seemed like the next logical step

muslim fasting, not "I didn't eat anything at all" fasting

10. Formz

I made my mark. :cool:

11. Hamster

Hamster Active Member

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

increased resting metabolic rate....... see:

Carlson MG, Snead WL, Campbell PJ. Fuel and energy metabolism in fasting humans. Am J Clin Nutr. 1994 Jul;60(1):29-36.

Halberg N, Henriksen M, Söderhamn N, Stallknecht B, Ploug T, Schjerling P, Dela F. Effect of intermittent fasting and refeeding on insulin action in healthy men. J Appl Physiol 2005; 99: 2128-2136

Jensen MD, Ekberg K, Landau BR. Lipid metabolism during fasting. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Oct;281(4):E789-93.

Johnstone AM, Faber P, Gibney ER, Elia M, Horgan G, Golden BE, Stubbs RJ. Effect of an acute fast on energy compensation and feeding behavior in lean men and women. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2002 Dec;26(12):1623-8.

Klein S, Sakurai Y, Romijn JA, Carroll RM. Progressive alterations in lipid and glucose metabolism during short-term fasting in young adult men. Am J Physiol. 1993 Nov;265(5 Pt 1):E801-6.

Mittendorfer B, Horowitz JF, Klein S. Gender differences in lipid and glucose kinetics during short-term fasting. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2001 Dec;281(6):E1333-9.

Samra JS, Clark ML, Humphreys SM, Macdonald IA, Frayn KN. Regulation of lipid metabolism in adipose tissue during early starvation. Am J Physiol 1996;271:E541-E546

Webber J, Macdonald IA. The cardiovascular, metabolic and hormonal changes accompanying acute starvation in men and women. Br J Nutr. 1994 Mar;71(3):437-47.

Zauner C, Schneeweiss B, Kranz A, Madl C, Ratheiser K, Kramer L, Roth E, Schneider B, Lenz K. Resting energy expenditure in short-term starvation is increased as a result of an increase in serum norepinephrine. Am J Clin Nutr. 2000 Jun;71(6):1511-5.

Gjedsted J, Gormsen LC, Nielsen S, Schmitz O, Djurhuus CB, Keiding S, Ørskov H, Tønnesen E, Møller N. Effects of a 3-day fast on regional lipid and glucose metabolism in human skeletal muscle and adipose tissue. Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2007 Nov;191(3):205-16.

13. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i wonder how substantial the RMR increase is

14. Marix

Marix OT Supporter

I'm gonna guess there wouldn't be much effect. Probably just feel tired :dunno:

You're not going to lose 5lbs of muscle mass or anything crazy in one day

15. Ceaze

around 100 cals

16. evh

evh Active Member

on top of not taking in any calories, that's probably one big day of cal burning.

17. Finest

Finest OG #93

I'd probably be dead.

Can't even go 3 hours between meals.

18. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

i thought you were trying to bulk

19. Ceaze

Acta Physiol (Oxf). 2007 Nov;191(3):205-16. Epub 2007 Sep 3.

Effects of a 3-day fast on regional lipid and glucose metabolism in human skeletal muscle and adipose tissue.

Gjedsted J, Gormsen LC, Nielsen S, Schmitz O, Djurhuus CB, Keiding S, Ørskov H, Tønnesen E, Møller N.

Department of Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Aarhus University Hospital, Noerrebrogade, Aarhus, Denmark. [email protected]

AIM: Fasting is characterized by increased whole body lipolysis and lipid oxidation, decreased glucose oxidation and insulin resistance. To identify the regional sources and underlying mechanisms, we studied 10 healthy male volunteers post-absorptively and after 72 h of fasting. METHODS: Each study comprised a 3-h basal period and a 3-h hyperinsulinaemic euglycaemic clamp and we used a combination of leg and forearm arteriovenous techniques, upper and lower body microdialysis and glucose and palmitate tracers. RESULTS: In the basal state, plasma levels, fluxes and oxidation rates of free fatty acids all roughly doubled after fasting. Palmitate fluxes across the forearm and leg also increased by two to threefold and interstitial leg muscle glycerol concentrations doubled. Subcutaneous femoral glycerol concentrations and blood flows were unaltered, but abdominal subcutaneous blood flow increased by 50% in the presence of unchanged glycerol concentrations, indicating stimulated abdominal lipolysis. During the clamp, we observed whole body insulin resistance and glucose uptake across the leg and forearm decreased by 60%. CONCLUSION: Our data show that fasting induces insulin resistance in upper and lower body muscles and suggest that increased lipolysis, is primarily due to the activation of lipolysis in muscle-associated fat (in the leg) and in upper body subcutaneous fat, whereas peripheral subcutaneous fat is spared.

20. Ceaze

timber will now fast for 3 days per week

21. You'll probably die.

22. Virtualmikey

Virtualmikey OT Supporter

I fast a few days at a time, 2-3 times a year, just because it makes me feel like a million bucks afterwards, and it reminds me to be more grateful for what I have.

That in mind,

WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANY OF THAT MEAN.

I dont speak medical.

23. maxbm

maxbm Guest

Your body will atrophy all muscle, from head to toe, after 24 hours of fasting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.