what are the downsides to having a shuttle PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ron, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

so far I've been warned of their heat issues which most of the new ones have also addressed, and sound seems to be the other concern but I'm not a stickler since I'll probably have headphones on most of the time I'm using it.

I realize it's harder to upgrade, or at least more expensive but I've had my current computer for over 6 years and I'm just looking for something cheaper to replace it with.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Depending on the layout and size of the case itself your video card size can be limited.

3. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

I'm not too familiar with them but I do know that most of them have slots for video cards so I can't imagine that will be too great of a factor for me

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Slots are there but sometimes the architecture design will put the HD's in a spot that will interfere with some video cards. If your running onboard video or just a basic card usually not a worry but some of high end cards may not fit.

5. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

I'll be sure to look into it because I will probably want something a little nicer. Any other downsides?

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Nothing else really other then that and what you mentioned. Not really more expensive to get upgrades then any other pc though except maybe memory upgrades most MicroATX boards only have 2 memory slots, so if you want more and have x2 1 gigs in it you'll need to buy 2 2 gigs.

My next build will probably be one since I'll be starting from scratch.

7. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

cool, thanks for all the info

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

there are forums on sudhian.com where they focus on small form factor PC's with a subforum dedicated to shuttle specifically. if i were you, i'd ask there if there are particular video cards that they recommend (or recommend avoiding).

i had a shuttle PC i bought a while ago that wouldn't work with the video card i bought (at the time it was a current ATI Radeo All-In-Wonder card). i was trying to make an HTPC, so i returned the shuttle when that wouldn't work. i probably should've just returned the AIW and got a dedicated tuner card from hauppauge. :)

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/

9. doubledave

doubledave New Member

I have 2 shuttles.
    The older one (Shuttle SN25P, AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ processor, RAM maxed out at 2GB) is really nice in just about every way. It has a 16x PCIe slot for the video card (Ive been using a Nvidia geforce 7800GTX, a relatively big card, just about the biggest card that can fit), and it has a 1x PCIe slot that I can't use due the size of my video card. The drives pop in and out with relative ease for such a compact machine. It does an excellent job of keeping the CPU cool, but when I work it hard it does get a little loud. However I do have a complaint about how it doesn't cool the motherboard components (northbridge chip), the video card, or the hard drives well enough. I have a 10,000 RPM Raptor that produces lots of heat and gets cooled sufficiently in the top back slot next to the fans, but the rest of the drives get way too hot.

The new shuttle sucks. (Shuttle SP35P2 Pro) It isn't layed out as intuitively as the old one. You have to use screws to secure drives and drive bays. I got it because I can put a newer quad core Intel QX6600 and 8GB RAM in it. It doesn't always boot up, but I think that's a problem with the Patriot RAM I bought and not the Shuttle motherboard. (I relax the memory timings to slower than it is rated at and it will be reliable) I returned the motherboard / power supply / case all-in-one barebones unit for a replacement and used the same memory and it acts the same way. The BIOS has settings to control the CPU fan speeds, but they don't work so well; the smart setting that adjusts fan speed based on CPU temperature lets it get way too hot. There is a utility that I run in Win XP that comes from the Shuttle website that manages the CPU fan well. That utility doesn't run on Vista though so you have to force the CPU fan to a medium to high speed at all times if you can't run that utility, to prevent overheating during times the CPU is working hard. It has a PCIe 16x slot for the video card and next to it a standard PCI slot. It can accommodate approximately the same size video card as the old shuttle.

10. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I built a Shuttle SD30G2B (http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail_spec.jsp?PI=780) with an E2180 about 6 months back. Running Vista Ultimate, it idles at about 36C and I've never seen it go over 41C.

It uses an I.C.E. Technology CPU heat-pipe instead of a CPU fan. The machine is very quiet. I can barely hear it when it's running.

I don't game or anything, so I use the on-board video... But I'm sure you could be limited to video cards depending on the size. Mine has one PCI slot and one PCI-E slot.

Overall, I'm very happy with it.

11. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

If you're looking for anything more than the onboard video, you should skip it. They run hot and don't have great power supplies, so that limits the drives and video cards you can put in them.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They're great for small/HTPC computers. My mother's had one for...four years? Never once had a hardware problem.

13. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

most newer shuttles have ICE2 and are supposed to keep the machine much cooler. Also the issues with the power supply was primarily a symptom of poor cooling.

14. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

IIRC shuttle offers an upgraded power supply...

15. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

I wouldn't doubt it

16. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

honestly, if you check the Sudhian forums i posted earlier, you can find which cards work well with which Shuttle systems and which should be avoided. that site puts a lot of focus on small form factor PCs.

http://www.sudhian.com/index.php?/forums/

17. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

My sister has a Shuttle I built for her 5 years ago. It still works she used it all of college.

18. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

I'll check it out once I know which model I'm gonna get.

19. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

What do most of you use your shuttle for?

20. deusexaethera

My mom uses hers as her main computer. P4 3.06GHz, 2GB RAM, 300GB HDD, ATi All-in-Wonder (video capture), fax capability, etc. She uses it to manage her art business.

21. pyehac

pyehac if she's old enough to cross the street, she's old

I had a SFF computer (actually, still use it for my Mom's business). I love being able to carry that box along with a flat screen (or cables for a TV), wireless keyboard and mouse then being able to set it up at a friend's house.

22. Ron

Ron OT Supporter

what types of things should I look for in a shuttle? I think my biggest concern at this point is size for video cards, and RAM

23. deusexaethera

They're all the same size, and I was able to fit a full-height video card into it -- you just have to get one that doesn't have a huge cooler that takes up a second slot's-worth of space.

If you're going to run Vista, get Vista x64, and 4GB of RAM. Try to leave half the RAM slots open for later upgrades, if you can.

If you're going to run XP, you can get away with 2GB of RAM and it'll run nicely.