A&P What are the differences between Canon and Nikon?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by hootpie, Sep 8, 2008.

1. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'm speaking in general e.g. differences in sensors, lens selection, etc. The guy over at Ritz Camera was telling me that Nikon's sensors aren't as good as Canon's, but that Nikon's lenses were the same quality and cheaper. Any truth to that?

Let's try to keep this civil.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

3. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

4. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Computer.

5. Jbrown

Jbrown OT Supporter

6. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

LOL wow, do not ever go back to that store.

7. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I can't speak for the newest Nikon stuff, but its common knowledge in the astrophotography world that Canon's sensors produce much less noise. I'm talking about 10-40D's, 5D's and the consumer lines and I have no info on anything newer. Other than that I can't provide any more info.

Evan

8. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

:bowdown:

9. jared_IRL

jared_IRL OT Supporter

so you met adamlewis?

10. hootpie

hootpie New Member

I'm just trying to get a feel for the discrepancy between Canon and Nikon.

For example, Toyota and Honda are both Japanese car companies that aim to provide consumers with economical vehicles, but they have subtle differences.

Toyota seems to be slightly more reliable, but Honda's styling is more appealing. Things of that nature.

11. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

Let me try to answer this without being biased.

Before the newest generation of Nikon cameras, i.e. the D3, D300, and D700, Canon cameras produced much cleaner high ISO images. But the newest generation Nikon cameras are on par and slightly better at high ISO than Canon cameras.

Ergonomics is a subjective, but I think more people agree than not that Nikon's ergonomics are better. They feel better in your hand and have better controls. You always hear people say Canon cameras are designed by engineers, and Nikon cameras are designed by photographers.

Nikon and Canon lens quality is equal. Nikon lenses are more expensive than the Canon equivalents.

Canon has a better lens lineup. They have a constant f/4 zoom line and modern primes.

12. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Nikon is for artsy stuff only and canon is for sports only....duh!

13. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

did you miss the olympics?

14. hootpie

hootpie New Member

Thanks for the reply...this is exactly the type of reply I was looking for.

15. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

This should be good!

:drama:

16. isaac86hatch

no, I saw all the nikon guys shooting landscapes and portraits but all the cannon guys were shooting sports stuff. :nono:

17. aCab

aCab New Member

Has anybody noticed if you messed around with Nikon's lettering, you can get Kinon - which sounds like Canon?

18. isaac86hatch

ohhh shit!!! I'm switching!

19. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

:bowrofl:

20. aCab

aCab New Member

I like to think of Canon as a PC and Nikon as an Apple

21. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

except that apple have always been in bed with canon... :ugh:

22. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Im glad you put a reason in, I didnt mean to be rude but before it was like "nikon vs canon" and I was all like OMG havent we done this before? like you know, whatever.

23. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

Before Nikon switched to using CMOS sensors on their newer cameras, it was true that Canon sensors > Nikon. However, as danidentity pointed out, the newer Nikons are producing images at least on par with Canon, and under some circumstances even better.

The thing people say about Canon having a better lens lineup is pretty much hogwash, because most people are judging it based on each manufacturers current line of AF lenses. In that regard Canon does CURRENTLY offer a broader line of lenses than Nikon. However - and this is VERY important -Nikon has been using exactly the same F mount since the 1950's and there are a vast array of older MF lenses that can be purchased very cheaply. There are also third party lenses such as the Zeiss ZF series that was recently discussed in ok_computer's thread that are absolutely wonderful lenses. Nikon also tends to release more new lenses annually than Canon because they have a larger optical division. Canon is limited by their research and manufacturing capacity to 3 or sometimes 4 lenses annually, while Nikon is at 5 or 6 new lenses annually. Recent news though is that Canon is building an additional $800m lens facility that will increase their capacity by 25% in about 2010.

Nikon's current lens lineup is weak in fast primes, where Canon still has some strength (i.e 35 f/1.4), and Nikons super-tele lenses are more expensive than Canon (i.e. 400 f/2.8) Nikon has a strength with some niche lenses such as the 14-24 f/2.8 and the 200-400 f/4.

Nikon has a better flash system with Nikon CLS, and Canon seems to be the megapixel king at the moment in both mid-range (15mp 50D) and high end (21mp 1Ds). There are anticipated new cameras in each line that will change this somewhat with an anticipated Nikon D3x and Canon 5D Mark II.

There are other minor differences between each camera as well such as HD video mode on the new Nikon D90 as well as Active D-Lighting on most of the Nikons. Nikon AF systems from the D300 and above also have a 51 point AF system and full weather sealing. Canon has advantages with a simplified user interface (fewer buttons and a thumb wheel in place of a D-pad on the 40D and above).

There are additional minor differences in each line and which line you buy into should be heavily influenced by what you shoot. Each manufacturer appears to have a very different product development strategy where Canon is committed to long term evolutionary changes (look as the progression of features from 10D to 50D as an example) while Nikon seems to try to make each product revision much more significant. (compare a D100, D200 and D300 or a D1, D2 and D3 as an example)

Each manufacturers cameras are essential the same below the $750 price point so there isn't much to say about those bodies. :dunno:

Bottom line, both Canon and Nikon make very fine cameras that will exceed 95% of all hobbyist photographers skills, so it's essentially a matter of preference. Given the nature of this thread, I'm guessing that you're not in the market for a D700 or a 1DMarkIII, and you're looking at the <$750 camera. For those then the preference factor is particularly important because the differences between say a D50 and Rebel XSi are so minimal as to be irrelevant.

Just buy the camera that you feel comfortable with and which will inspire you to get off the internet and use it. That's going to be the best option for you.

Oh, and tell that camera salesman at Ritz to kindly STFU.

24. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

OP, this is probably the best and least biased response you're going to receive in a thread like this...and I say this as a person who thinks the person im quoting is an extreme douchebag. His post is dead on, and I think you should consider the last three sentences more than anything else written though...

25. ThexToddster

ThexToddster New Member

I was waiting for you to post a good write up. :bigthumb: