MIL What are the chances of getting your picks when becoming an officer?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by x deaD piXeL, Sep 5, 2006.

1. x deaD piXeL

x deaD piXeL Turn up the fucking music!

When becoming an officer, you get your three choices. These choices are based on your "top 3", how well you can perform in the fields, and demand. This is what I was told by MAJ Jeanblanc, the recruiting Officer at my NG Training Area.

Assuming this isn't true and he didn't stretch anything out like my enlisted recruiter did, I would just like to know what the chances are of getting any of the 3 choices you pick from (assuming you perform well in the field). There are currently 4 branches I would possibly be interested in (in order):

Personnel Systems Management Officer
    Finance
    Medical Corps
    Ordinance Officer

btw i'm going active when i get my commission

2. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

Personnel Systems Management Officer is not a Branch, but it is associated with AG (Adjutant General)
    Which you won't have to much trouble getting that branch.

Finance IS the hardest branch to get because it is the smallest branch. Need to have some accounting course work and a very high GPA and pretty much be in the top 10% of the OML (Order of Merit list) To be considered. I think there was 25 slots total in 2006.

Ordinance is the easiest combat arms branch to get. You won't have to much trouble getting that branch as long as you do OK at camp.

Medical Serive Corps. is also very hard to get.

There really isn't a top three b/c you have to list all the branches in the order that you want them. There is no set percentage of you getting a certain branch. It's all based on the OML of every cadet that is accessing the same time you do. So you figure you are competing with 3000-5000 other cadets.

If you are selecting a a non combat arms branch and you get it, you will most likely be enrolled in the branch detail program. Basically you will serve for 2-3 years in a combat arms branch and then go to the branch that you selected.

One option that the Army just started is called ADSO (additional service obligation) Serve for 3 more years and you are put in a higher spot to get your branch. If you select ADSO and still don't get your branch then you don't have to serve the additional three years. So it's a win-win situation for the Army to give you your branch if you check the ADSO box.

But you will still most likely get branch detail even if you go ADSO for something like Finance Corps.

Branch Detail isn't bad, you will get good experience. It'll just suck going to your basic branch as an O-2 or O-3 and not have any experience in that field.

Here is a powerpoint that will explain a lot. There is another one that I can't locate but this one is pretty good.

Accessions

3. x deaD piXeL

Alright, AG. I just looked online at goarmy and found a list of the branches because that's what the recruiting officer told me to do. AG I'm very interested in. That sounds the most appealing to me.

The branch detail is something that could bother me. If they were to put me on detail for an infantry unit, that would suck. I'm just not in good enough shape and never will be up to standard unless I REALLY work it for the next few years. Also, if I make it to my commission, I plan on staying in the army for 30-35 years and retiring as a high ranking officer, so ADSO sounds like a plan.

Thank you!

4. JSin

JSin New Member

From experience, getting any branch you want in the Army is pure luck. Nothing is based on how well you do prior to your branching from what I can gather. And assuming that you could get one of your top 4 choices is a bad assumuption. Most of the Infantry guys in my class thought they would get it no problem, only 4 did. The rest go FA, ADA and Quartermaster. The class right after us got branched about 80% infantry... doesn't make any sense... exactly.

I got my 7th choice on my top 10. My pre-branching "numbers" were pretty darn good too.

5. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

don't expect to serve 25+ years in any service as an officer and retire as a "high ranking" officer if you don't intend to serve at least part of your career in one of the "main" parts of that branch. for the army, this means serving in the infantry, or armor, or maybe artillery - and probably earning a ranger tab or something at some point. in the air force this means aviation, probably a fighter pilot (the vast majority of USAF generals and operational commanders are fighter pilots by trade). in the navy this means either surface warfare, submarines, or naval aviation, and in the marines it means infantry, armor, or another combat arms career.

6. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

They aren't going to branch detail you infantry. You've got to be squared away to get Infantry. If you're good enough to get something like Finance then you would probably get Infantry or Armor. They will give you Ordinance or FA or ADA.

As far as high ranking Officer. The majority of Officers make Major or LTC and retire because the amount of O-6 slots are limited and very hard to get.

www.branchorientation.com Is a good site to learn about the branches. The majority of information about branches will come from Officers that you can talk to that are currently in those branches though.

7. x deaD piXeL

Thank you.

I wouldn't mind Artillery. :)

I just got back from basic at Fort Sill, OK - Home of the Field Artillery!

8. brownfield

brownfield OT Supporter

If it's anything like being enlisted ask for everything you don't want and then you'll get what you want.

9. x deaD piXeL

EXACTLY. My recruiter sorta "guided" me through MEPS. I ended up getting the MOS 92G which is a cook. He didn't tell me until the day later (MEPS didn't tell me either, I WANTED to be something like in AG) and promised me that I would be allowed to switch from cook to something else *as soon as* I graduated AIT. He also told me that it was a good decision upon him as I made the highest enlistment bonus at the time, which was $10k. I talked to some more "knowledgeable" people and they said I will have to wait 6 months to a year to switch my MOS. I will not be able to stand being a cook, which is a big motivational factor in me becoming an officer.

10. burton564

burton564 New Member

so as i was sitting here, i was trying to figure out when did ordinance become combat arms. last i knew they were mechanics.

11. nadahonda

nadahonda Member

My mistake OD is Combat Service Support.

12. shiba

shiba Active Member

How are you getting your commission btw?

13. x deaD piXeL

Smp + Rotc = Ftw

14. shiba

shiba Active Member

Ok thats what i thought. You were actually told that you will get your top three picks? Where do you rank on the national oml? what was your accessions score?

Medical corp are usually given to cadets who has a high chance of getting into med school. in which case be prepared to sign a 12 year active army contract with the army.

AG and finance you can forget about unless you are in the top 10% on the national OML.

However, if you only want to get into those 4 branches, you could always try to transfer into a unit of that branch (near impossible), and get a by name request in your accessions packet. After you go through bolc and ocs, you could always request active duty (again near impossible, or take a really long time).

judging from what you wrote, I'm pretty sure you're not even in your third year yet, which is when they give you the branch orientations. One thing to keep in mind is that what you get is determined by how well you perform in school and LDAC. ROTC garrison counts for less that 10% of your sccessions packet. You will not get active duty just because you want it, you have to earn that right.