What are swirls, how to prevent them and how to remove them?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Intel, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Intel

Intel Guest

I was curious, are swirls the light scratches that you can notice when direct sunlight is hitting the car paint and you are looking at the paint at an angle where you notice some minor 'scratches' that are not there when the car is in the shade?

Please explain what swirls are and how to prevent/remove them

Thanks

2. albuffit

albuffit New Member

correct. doesnt bother a lot of people tho.. especially on a lighter car. its from bad washes where the cloth isnt soft enough, rubbing too hard while washing, dirt on the towel and rubbing against the paint, etc.

to prevent them, hire someone like scottwax to wash your car. or just use clean water, clean towels (microfiber), wash it often and dont let a lot of dirt built up, thorough rinsing, etc.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Yes, that is swirls. They are very fine scratches in your clearcoat that a lot of the time you won't see unless the light hits them at a certain angle. To remove them, you have to polish them out. To keep them from happening, you need to keep your vehicle waxed, and stay away from automatic carwashes, and keep that messican with the rotary polisher away from your paint.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Read the stickies, they will tell you how to remove them and prevent them in the future. :)

5. Intel

Intel Guest

Thanks. Can I use regular polish? (I have Meguiars #7 Mirror Glaze) I read the Sticky about swirl removing and someone mentioned that Scratch-X doesn't work. I have Scratch-X as well but wont use it if it wont work.

6. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

#7 is an enhancing glaze and has no abrasives. It will not remove any swirls...only hide them. Scratch X does work but it's more for a localized area with a deep, single scratch.

Meguiars Color X will be your best bet from over the counter. 3Ms new cleaner wax that is at Wal Mart is actually pretty decent at removing fine swirls and leaving some protection behind.

7. MSIGuy

MSIGuy om nom nom nom!

I've used Scratch-X with some great results on my side skirts where my feet always hit it when I get out.

8. cracka.

cracka. Guest

Yea, have to add, the Scratch-X product is an excellent choice in even deep scratches.

9. quamen

quamen New Member

that is a very inappropriate comment to make about the mexicans. one of my best detailer s was Mexican, and can out detail you any day.

richsmad.com

10. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

GTFO you no av fag. Took you a month to come in here and say something? Point is everyone has their horror story about the messican with the rotary jacking up their paint. So STFU.