SRS What are some good ways to vent anger/stress?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by CopenKagan, Aug 26, 2005.

1. CopenKagan

CopenKagan OT Supporter

Let me start off with what I am trying to deal with.

Firstly, at work it seems as if more work is being put on my shoulders. People are just good at passing the buck there. Currently, I'm the least senior person there (a few people have come and gone since I worked there). So if the owner wants something done, shit rolls downhill and I eventually get it.

I also get blamed for things there that I had nothing to do with in the first place. For example, me and the other guy I work with in the shop (the others work at computers in the office) have to clean the shop each day before we leave. Well last Friday we got it clean just like any other day. On Saturday my boss came in to get a couple of things done and made a huge mess. The following Monday he came into the shop and chewed my ass out that the shop was a mess. I seriously had to restrain myself from walking out the door on his ass.

My girlfriend has been putting a lot of pressure on me lately saying that I need to move closer to her. I live about 50 miles away and it's really hard to see her a lot because it's so expensive to pay for gas. I figured my budget and would need to make about $30,000 to make ends meet with a little left over for savings, entertainment, etc. Absolutely nothing will pay that much in Utah. Hell, it's hard for a college graduate to make $35,000 here.

Anyway, I don't know if any of that stuff matters on what I can do with myself. But there are a few other miscellaneous things that stress me out and/or make me mad.

I just don't know how to vent it. Today my mom wanted me to mow the lawn, I told her I would do it tomorrow because I had a hard day today. She started bitching at me for it. I just snapped, I quietly walked out to my car, backed out of the driveway, layed about 20 feet of rubber leaving and another 5 or 6 feet going into second gear.

She hasn't said a single word to me since I got back home. But there has got to be a better way to vent it off instead of repressing it and letting it all come out at once in something like that exhibition I made earlier tonight.:hsd:

2. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

I have a TON of kept up anger and frustration so I go to the gym ALLL the time now. Which sounds like it might be impossible for u since your so busy...but running i think also helps alot. If i cant find time to go to the gym and im really frustrated ill just go for a run till i can run anymore. It really helps because by the time u get back to your place and get a shower you'll just be way too tired to think about everything and will feel really refreshed in the morning

hope it helps :sadwavey:

3. Capicu

Capicu New Member

i was hoping to give you a few pointers but now that i think about it, i really can't and im having the same problem, i need to find other ways to vent my anger

the gym doesnt really work all that well because well... shit, it just doesnt, and the punching bag in there doesnt hurt either because i suck at punching and my knucles get all bloddy

edit:

im kinda hoping to find something that doesnt involve violence, because violence only amplifies the anger, doesnt help vent it...

4. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

running my friend....running :)

5. Capicu

Capicu New Member

i can't run for shit, even thought i work out, i can't run for shit, i get tired after 10 minutes of jogging....

so i need something else

no music, no punching, kicking, screaming, or weight lifting

lol been looking for something since the 6th grade and now im entering college and still havn't found anything to use

6. FSTMX5

FSTMX5 New Member

well shit i dunno then :hsugh:

7. Capicu

Capicu New Member

lol

8. ruler22

ruler22 Member

What about walking?

9. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

swimming keeps me relaxed and tired enough to not worry....some kind of physical exercise should help you. When I feel like I'm going to snap I just walk away and think that the last times I snapped it only made things worse so that keeps me balanced to a certain extent. It's not the best because you bottle it up but then you can let it out in a more civilized way...like exercising or talking to someone that you trust.

10. B_RowL

B_RowL OT Supporter

Me telling someone a funny story usually helps, but like everyone else the main things for me are music, working out, running, and writing/poetry.

11. AO

AO New Member

Seeing as you're strapped for cash you probably can't afford full body massages.

Do you have a garden where you can put your fists in the ground and make fists of dirt? Pulling out weeds can tire you as well as chopping wood.

One can't just start running, one has to work up to it. I used to jog about 10 miles a day but it took me a long time to work up to it. I eventually got "jogger's kidney" (passing blood) so I had to give it up. Man, I used to love jogging. Passing a kidney stone tends to bring one down to reality.

My personality is a little different than yours. So if my boss had screamed at me I would have made it a point to get in early every day to clean up. I'd institute a process so that the boss gets emails or written notes telling him what's right or wrong with the place (like fire extinguisers being out of date, not being in the right place, waste blocking doors, obstacles to safety, etc.) It's my way of hounding him and shaming him. And if I see someone do something which I know I'll probably get blamed for I will go over and correct them so that they'll do it right the first time. But I document everything, so if anything comes up I whip out the notebook and iterate times and conversations. After awhile they know I can't be messed with, that I not only hold myself accountable but also my co-workers.

If all the shit rolls down hill and you're always getting blamed, then cut out the middle men and go right to the top. Become indispensible to the boss, get to the know the place better than he does, get to know each and every single job function so that if someone's out you can take over. That's when the boss is likely to get frustrated and start screaming. Once you show him that you're taking the frustration off his shoulders you'll be "golden". If you ever leave you'll have all that experience under your belt.

It's sad that your boss is having his own personal problems and is taking it out on you. He can't get rid of his stress so he spreads it around to everyone else, making everyone miserable. So in effect he goes home and kicks the dog because he can't kick his wife or his boss.

I've heard that the bus driver in Zion National Park is the highest wage earner at $25,000 a year. So you'll probably end up moving or starting your own company. Arizona is not the place to come for jobs.

What you don't want to do is to start drinking. If you can't afford the gas you can't afford the liquor. Neither can you start screaming at people around you. Which means that you'll have to bite your tongue and get the job done. Or you can make people stop and ask them why they're behaving that way. You cn take control of the situation and ak them not to scream at you. If they keep screaming you can walk away. But it is a knack that will need to be learned.

Good luck to you.

12. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I used to do bursts of silly anger vents like that too...I ended up hurting myself in more then one occasion. One day I realized it was just pointless.

The next time you're angry like that... tell yourself in your head "I'm pissed off right now....chill the fuck out." Sometimes even say it out loud to yourself....every time I did that, the instant I said that my anger level felt like it almost instantly dropped. Maybe because it's so silly. But I think part of it is also recognizing you're angry at that moment and saying something to yourself just give you that extra second or two you need to get back on track.

Another effective method I've found over the years is music. As much as punk and metal music can make us feel like running around pounding our fists in the air like idiots, some good "chill" music can help in moments of anger. I got a stack of music like that just for those occasions...e.g., Sade, McLaughlin, J Johnson, T Amos, etc. Close your door so neighbors won't mistake you for being :greddy: and then let yourself calm down.