What are some good books on strength/hypertrophy?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by disblohs, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disblohs

disblohs I can't shake this little feeling I'll never get a

I'm looking for books that are focused on either strength or hypertrophy or a combination of both. I'm also looking for books on how to setup a training program. I'm hoping to find some that aren't extremely technical; something I can actually apply to my training.

Are starting strength and practical programming good for this?

Thanks

2. disblohs

that's the problem ;)

3. disblohs

since when is gaining knowledge a bad thing? i'm trying to get diverse opinions to have a lot of options to choose from when it comes to training.

any recommendations for sites on the internet that are particularly good?

4. disblohs

honestly, progress has been dogshit. i lifted at detroit barbell last summer and my strength increased dramatically due to the environment and because i was eating a lot. unfortunately, i wasn't lean when i started stuffing my face so i ended up a mess in my eyes. couple that with a back injury that won't seem to go away and i was a wreck. i got my diet in check in january and dialed it in really well in february. i'm trying to get down to 10% before i'll slowly start adding calories so i can eat over maintenance as long as possible and gain as much strength and lbm as possible.

5. disblohs

my main problem before was diet. now that i live alone and only buy what i want rather than what a cafeteria provides i'm able to handle my diet much better. my fat loss has been going very well because of this.

6. K20Z3

K20Z3 New Member

Yes they are good books. Starting strength goes more into detial of how to do your lifts, Bench Press, Squat, DL, Power Clean, and Press.
    Practrical programming goes more into detail of your genetic potential and how to program your workouts, as well as goes into detail of the human body. As for hypertrophy then go buy Anorlds Encyclopedia Modern Bodybuilding which is a really good book as well.

7. THE mister juice

THE mister juice jfk→sea

I'm gonna buy Starting Strength...... once there's another free t-shirt promotion at elitefts :x:

8. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

more info is your last problem, this shit takes years and years to get anywhere near your ideal body types. everyone on here has been working out 1-2 years and are depressed because they arent elite level bodybuilder, powerlifter, etc. all you need to do is bust your ass every time you go to the gym and progressively overload. its very simple. same with dieting, its very basic but people overcomplicate it and dont have the willpower to do what they know they should be doing

9. disblohs

that was my problem before. it didn't help that i lived in a dorm that had a cafeteria that had outrageous prices and shitty selection (not just a buffet), but i should have found ways around that. instead i just ate like shit and used it as an excuse. now my diet is going really well, bodyfat is dropping, i'm busting my ass at every lifting session and doing the necessary cardio, and soon i'll be able to eat over maintenance. i've finally got that side of things down

10. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

If half the motherfuckers on this forum would lift some fuckign weight instead of reading and buying supliments they would actually get somewhere ahead fo pathetic!

Last edited: May 3, 2007
  11. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

you know on second thought...

12. dirtysouthboy

dirtysouthboy New Member

[​IMG]

Best book I know of.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.