What are some good books on NLP?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Style, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Style

Style Boioioioioioioioing

I've read The Game by Neil Strauss, The Venusian Arts Handbook by Mystery, The Definitive Hanbook of Body Language by Alan Pease, Double Your Dating by DeAngelo (and watched a few DVDs from him), and just bought The Art of Seduction by Robert Greene.

I want to get into NLP which I know almost nothing about. Any good books you would recommend?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  2. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_g...alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=nlp&x=10&y=20
    I have yet to find an NLP book that sucks (though a lot of them are the exact same 100 pages of the general rules/ideas of NLP), and a majority of them are retardedly expensive so just find one that is in your budget. I doubt amazon actually sells any, but College/Univ text books on the subject are better then the 100 page books though.

Go to your local library though and get Frogs into Princes by Richard Bandler. He's the guy who came up with the concept after studying the rich and powerful. The book is old so some of the ideas are not very accurate but it is a good starting point to see if it interests you at all.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

4. mavfan1

mavfan1 Active Member

how about just go out and get real life experience instead of reading dumb books

5. ptwiggens

ptwiggens New Member

Introducing NLP

and then I'd recommend Mark Cunningham's Intro to Hypnosis

It's about hypnosis but it will skyrocket your NLP abilities as well.

6. NCS

NCS Active Member

i cant find the hypnosis one on amazon.

7. Pringles

Pringles New Member

Sounds like a smart idea. But what if I'm a coward and would rather read about someone else's experience's than experience my own life?

8. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

Sorta depends.

What do you want to use the NLP for?

Considering the books you've read, seems like it's to become better with women.

IMO Frogs into Prices is an utter waste of time other than to learn some cool stories. As far as learning NLP it's dogshit.

To acclimate yourself to understanding what a trance/hypnosis is, I recommend Monsters and Magical Sticks. It's a hypnosis book, but will open your mind to how often we are in a trance or daze.

For general NLP you can stick with Intro to NLP. However, an audio or video program is incomparably better.

Besides books, I've listened to Chris Howard's audio course, watched the NLP Comprehensive DVD course, and hopefully next winter will complete the NLP practitioner's certification course.

Books will certainly provide a background, but you need to listen and watch these practitioners in action.

9. mavfan1

mavfan1 Active Member

don't know man...but i tell you that no book can explain how things have happened in my life. when i was out and about and least expecting to ever meet a wonderful person (man or woman) is when it happened. if you are not out and about, how can this occur?

edit: and what is the worst that can happen? i assure you, the older you are the nicer people get. highschool and college is pretty brutal. seems like the older i got, the more that i would talk to anyone, not matter how they looked or what their interests were

10. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

i don't think he intends to ONLY read books and NOT get any field experience and sit home. presumably the idea is to complement the one with the other

11. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

for his application of NLP, you're definitely right that experience trumps most studying you'll ever do

but in general NLP terms (sales, leadership, personal development, negotiation, therapy, etc. etc.) having a solid theory background is really good

any asshole can get a certification (hopefully I'll be one of those assholes in less than a year), and I'm right with you about needing to practice anything you learn

first time I did a simple anchor, elicited values or submodalities it was fucking pathetic even though I knew exactly what needed to be done

12. kicking_ascii

kicking_ascii OT Supporter

+1 on this I've been going through his CD's on my IPOD he lays out the terms and concepts pretty well

13. JordanClarkson

I like the books that are based on sales because that is where you will see how effective it is immediately when you use it in the field. The methods can be applied in anything in your life. Good salesmen and businessmen are also socially gifted outside of work. It's more than just tactics. It's a philosophy for life.

As for simply running out to the scene and socializing, no matter how often you go, if you're not able to understand what you're doing that works or doesn't work, you won't learn period. It's like a kid who sucks at sports. No matter how much he tries and plays, without proper coaching he'll never really be any good at it, while others are naturally gifted.

14. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

This is one of the most incorrect things I have ever read in the Vag.

not to be a dick

15. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

NLP for Dummies sucked. It wasn't even about NLP. At least, according to amazon.com reviews. I spent some time reading through it at Borders once and it was pretty bad so I didn't buy it. But it's really the only NLP book I've seen.

:dunno:

I want to learn about this, too. I listened to a Tony Robbins audio CD thing (Ultimate Power, I think) where he talked about NLP and the people who invented it, but didn't actually explain any of it. He was just like "these guys invented NLP" and "I use NLP" but that was it.

I want a book or audio program like:

This is NLP: ___

NLP is used for: ___

Fundamental concepts are: ___

Examples of those concepts are: ___

Here is how to utilize these concepts: ___

Like I said I've only looked through one NLP book, but I find that with a lot of subjects, there are a lot of books that are basically useless. This is especially true for foreign language learning books.

16. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I actually agree with Aluyminyum and I draw the analogy to music. Some people have no musical talent and even WITH lessons and coaching, they will still suck. Other people (naturally gifted) don't need much instruction to excel.

I believe that when it comes to socializing it's not quite as cut-and-dry as with music (ie. there are more factors in determining one's "natural" skills at socializing than there are in determining one's "natural" ability at music), but the same basic principle holds true.

17. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

I disagree. You want to learn how to play basketball. You get your ass on a court and throw the ball at the hoop. Sure you won't be an instant allstar but you'll figure out fast what you suck at and know what you need to focus on.

Instead of walking before you run, just run to the best of your ability. Sure you will fall, but you'll fall less and less if you JUST GET OUT THERE AND TRY.

Being taught works to, but learning a sport through a coach is a HELL of a lot different then learning social skills from a book

18. JordanClarkson

And if you suck so bad and keep failing that you want to simply quit and never try again? I feel that you should go into something prepared instead of being thrown into the wolves.

However, now that I think about it, that doesn't apply to the TS. If he's read The Game cover to cover, that's more than enough information to feel well prepared. Stop spending your $ on books and start spending it on drinks and nachos. But if there an interest in NLP I'd suggest the book above. That one is less "scientific" than the others. And if you really want to learn, find a www.meetup.com NLP group to join and participate in.

If The Game and the other books are not good enough, then it is probably the way it's written that's the problem and you'll need to either find something more heavy or analytical.

19. XaPU!M

XaPU!M Active Member

Then you have no determination or follow through, which means you'll get left behind A LOT in life.

Oh, this is to hard... booo hooo, I suck at it so I'm just going to give up and not try to get better... :wtc:

Fuck that, grow a pair and DO IT. Practice makes perfect, some things take longer and the learning curve is slower, but if you give up when the going gets tough you are a little bitch.

20. doubleb23

doubleb23 Ooooo

Is this that bullshit that Tom Cruise's character in Magnolia is making fun of?

21. JordanClarkson

No, you're thinking of PUA.

22. doubleb23

doubleb23 Ooooo

What's the difference?

23. BlackIce72

BlackIce72 New Member

I learned to play the guitar. No teacher. No lessons. And I became good and comfortable enough to play on stage in front some small and medium sized crowds.

I learned to play chess well. No teacher. Just playing over and over.

Do you learn to ride the bike, or walk, or type faster, or drive well because you read books on them? Do you have someone over your shoulder the entire time?

Or are you driven by your successes and learn from your mistakes? Does the habit of success become unconscious?

Why did my dad's #1 saleswoman never go to college or take a formal sales/business/marketing course but busts her ass on the phones and in person day in and day out to finally GET what negotiations are all about? Versus the business school grads who had 4 years of learning and 0 years of experience getting crushed even a year later.

How did my mom, a high school grad with only general beauty school training and a hair cutter's license become a top Wella color instructor? I can assure you she doesn't have the patience to watch movies or read books. She just tested and tested and tried and tried until she became amazing.

Finally, why did my virgin friend remain a virgin when he read ALL the books about pickup and only approached a few times a month, when another equally unsuccessful friend promised himself to approach 3 girls/groups a day and a year later has slept with a handful of women?

Books help. Lessons help. Experience trumps all.

24. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

aaaaaaand /thread

25. JordanClarkson

So BlackIce, if you're good at anything you pick up, why do you even bother reading PUA/NLP material? It doesn't sound like you need it and seems to go against your philosophy.