GUN What are some advantages to having a manual safety and external hammer

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Peqkx, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Peqkx

Peqkx Active Member

compared to guns like glock or XD?

would anyone recommend no manual safety/external hammer guns as first time weapons?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

My take on it is that I will have no handgun for defense that has a manual safety. If you have one as your only handgun and train with it all the time you'll probably remember to flip off the safety in the event you're in a panic and need it. I want it to go bang when I pull the trigger without question. I can transition from any of my guns from small pocket gun to large pocket gun, to bigger iwb gun, and they all work the same way.

I don't think the hammer vs. striker thing is important at all. Some people think hammers snag, some people think they're good to hold down as you reholster on a double action gun just incase something gets caught in the trigger guard. I don't think either is probable enough to worry about and would have either one.

3. biawokauns

biawokauns New Member

my p2k doesn't have a safety :run: i almost killed my cat though, pic for reference
    [​IMG]

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I used both, and am fine with both. But when it comes to external, I don't like levers you have to flip up like a standard Beretta 92-96. It's very un-natural. On a 1911 or high power, the safety is pushed down. Just train with them and you shouldn't have a problem.

5. I would not want a gun with a manual safety. The safeties on the XD are great.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I like the 1911 style carry of a DA/SA cocked and locked. With a DAO, I'd prefere no external safety.

7. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

I don't mind safetys at all, but I prefer hammers, just cuz I like the feel of them.

8. CString

CString New Member

i prefer no manual safety. no real preference on hammer/striker.

9. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

external safeties are worthless and just one more thing to break

10. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

I dont give a shit about safety's, I just like having an external hammer. I wouldnt ever own a full-sized gun (that's on the market today) that didnt have one. Call it personal preference. The only gun I've got now that doesnt have one is my Ruger MKII.