what are my options for whole drive encryption?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dorkultra, Dec 6, 2009.

1. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my dad has a dental business. his software is a sql database called eaglesoft. each user is password protected, i'm not sure if anything within the database is encrypted

i'm worried about if his computer ever gets stolen from his office, all sensitive information would be compromised

i was thinking about something like truecrypt to fully encrypt the hard drive. i would like something that is transparent to the user once the password is entered. also needs to be lightweight

ideas?

2. dorkultra

bitlocker is not an option, his software is only supported by the company if its on xp

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

TrueCrypt.

4. dorkultra

tried out truecrypt. i was leaning towards it originally. i really notice no performace hit. i'm going to contact the company to see if its approved...or if they have a suggestion for software

works great, i'm always a little afraid that the computer will spontaneously fuck up when its running a full disk encryption.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Isn't TrueCrypt open-source? That mean the same people who would hack it are already using it for their own shit. Nothing like being invested in the status-quo to keep someone from wanting to rock the boat too hard.

Yeah, there's always the risk of encryption fuckups. That's why you make backups somewhere else, and/or buy a hard drive with hardware encryption built-in.