What are games today programmed in?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Brian Fantana, May 22, 2005.

1. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

I want to know so I can learn the language and hopefully design a game or 10 in the near future. Ive heard of delphi for some reason being a component. Is there just a site or chart or something that shows what the games are coded in? Thx.

2. jmechy

jmechy Calmer then you are.

As for games you would buy in stores, the vast majority are in C/C++, possibly with scripting in other languages (or their own scripting language). Most web-games are flash, shockwave, or Java.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

game development is a HUGE deal.... C++ with DirectX being it's own language, in and of itself.

You'll prolly want to go to school for computer science, first.

4. Brian Fantana

Brian Fantana New Member

have been im planning on taking c++ classes already.

5. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

The gaming industry is highly competitive. Also, if you get in, don't plan on having a life.

6. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

Also take courses in computer graphics if offered. I took one that was partially done in OpenGL...may not be as popular as DirectX but it allowed us to do a project in Cg (the nVidia scripting language) that allowed us to code directly for the GPU. If you're school is big on CS, then they might have some high level theory courses(game theory) that can teach a lot about AI as well.

Most of the computer software industry is competitive these days but the big money game developers are known for especially brutal development cycles.

7. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Yeah, AI is a huge part of game development. I agree with the OpenGL path, it gives you a good foundation in 3D space and math. Also, IMHO, I think that with the slow errosion of the Windows market share that games will move away from DirectX and towards OpenGL. The other factor pushing this is graphics card development, I think the pace at which graphics technology is advancing makes the advantages of DirectX less signifigant in the grand scheme of things, especially when you take into account the fact that it locks you into a platform. I know most people use windows for gaming, but that may change, and OpenGL will still be there.

8. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Everything. Java, Basic, Flash, C, C++, ObjC, even a few in Pascal and my favorite: EvE online was written in a version of Python.