what are excel macros? not the automated kind

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by illmaticnyc, Sep 27, 2005.

1. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

i always thought macros were when you can automate functions in excel. but i understand that there is another functions of macros.

what are these and can someone give me an example? i work well with examples. it doesnt have to be graphical. just something i can relate it to in excel
    thanks!

2. mastaofmurda

mastaofmurda Guest

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Here's an example of what I use them for...

I export a list to Excel everyday from our MRP program at work that shows what shipments we made the previous day. I use a macro to format the report (spacing, borders, deleting un-needed columns) to make it easier to read.

I export the data to Excel, run the maco, and the report is formatted for me...

4. illmaticnyc

illmaticnyc New Member

but those macros are for day to day functions to automate some stuff for you right?

5. JaJae

JaJae New Member

look up VBA

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Yep, all I have to do each time is export the data I need to Excel and select the macro from the list. I don't have to spend the time formatting the data every time I do it.

7. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

i utilize macros in excel for the same basic principle as CMSURFER. I export parts of a full spreadsheet, sort, and get counts for how many each person shipped.

i use macros in another book to sort and move incomplete and backordered requisitions to other.

Macros just automate standard clicks and keystrokes.

8. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

:werd: it can also be used for Visual Basis for Applications (VBA). back in college i messed with it for a semester or two. it can be pretty powerful if done right.

back then i could do that shit well... but i've since forgotten it all. damned video games :noes: