What are all the most important ports?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Schaboinken, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Schaboinken

Schaboinken Guest

After much arguing, I finally got the proprieter of my apartment complex to remove IP blocks that have been annoying me for months. Now I have to figure out all of the ports that are most important to me. So im here looking for help.

What are all the most useful ports for a PC gamer? (Please specify UDP or TCP.) Some ports in particular I need: half-life, planetside, worms world party, file sharing progs, messenger programs (especially AIM's direct connect function), media viewers, file downloaders/installers (such as auto updaters), and any other common ports you all can think of. Thanks for the help.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hmmm - do you have a private IP or a Public IP? Otherwise this may be a pointless excercise.

3. Schaboinken

Schaboinken Guest

public, im pretty sure. how would I find out

4. 5Gen_Prelude

Well does your IP start with 10, 192.168 or 172.16-31?

5. SFLegend

SFLegend .

There's a list of port numbers of common apps and games over here.

6. Schaboinken

Schaboinken Guest

it starts with 10. whats that mean for me?

7. 5Gen_Prelude

Assuming you haven't set your own little router and this is the IP you get when you plug your computer directly into the wall, it means you are on a private network. That means all those ports that need to be opened up would need to be directed toward a specific IP within the private network or not at all. So only one person (ie you) would be able to use those ports. This doesn't apply to everything you do but lets say you needed to supply someone an IP, you can't just give your private network IP because it's not routable. You have to give the public IP address - and to force the traffic to go to your specific computer, you would have to route specific ports to your computer (or put yourself in the DMZ).

That's a lot of gobbely-gook to take in, but the point is, someone has to configure that in the router - if you don't have access to it, it will be tough.