GUN What ammo are you putting through your 10/22?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ultimate_Ninja, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

I want something that shoots decent, so Federal brick ammo is out. In fact, most brick ammo is out. That being said, I've got a big list of stuff I bought today to take to the range on Saturday. I've also got some Remington 22 Yellow Jacket HP 33gr rounds that are ABSOLUTELY FUCKING TERRIBLE. Never, ever, ever buy these. I went through just over 300 in a day and had 17 misfires :ugh: perfect striker mark on the back of the round, just never went off :ugh: wtf.

Anyways, here's what I've got to test:

• CCI Velocitor 40gr CHP, 1435 fps :eek3:
    • CCI Mini-Mag HP 36gr, 1260 fps
    • CCI Stinger 32gr HP, 1640 fps :eek5:
    • Federal Spitfire 31gr HP, 1500 fps
    • Winchester Super-X 37gr HP, 1330 fps
    • Winchester Wildcat round-nose brick :hsugh: finishing off the last of my brick ammo :hsugh:
    Anything else I should take a look at?

Also, while I've got you guys in here, where's a good place to get high-capacity mags that don't suck?

2. Ultimate_Ninja

I'd also like to point out that this is my squirrel gun, so she isn't a range queen. The reason I'm shooting high-velocity hollow-point rounds is because come fall and squirrel season, I want this thing to be a dead fucking tack driver with whatever ammo fires the best.

Thanks guys :bowdown:

And for those who haven't seen it, the obligatory pic:

[​IMG]

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

the cheapest bulk pack of 500+ rounds walmart has :dunno:

i've probably put a brick of federal and remington through with no problems. im working on winchester now

4. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

My 10/22 loves Federal bulk, so I have about 15K of it. I also shoot a lot of Remington Subsonic, CCI Minimag, PMC Moderators and I have a few bricks of Wolf Match Target.

5. lobstradomus

lobstradomus New Member

I've only bothered to feed mine Mini-mags, it hasnt had a problem with them yet. I've heard great things about the Tactical Innovations mags, but since I'm in CA I haven't been able to try them out.

6. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

I've only ever shot Federal value pack and Remington bulk in mine. The Remington jammed much more often.

7. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

mini mags feed well in mine. i probably have about 600 down the pipe, and another 500 in my closet.

its too expensive though :hs:

8. Ultimate_Ninja

I will never use another round of Remington ammunition in any of my guns ever again.

God I can't wait to go to the range now :coold: just two more days of work :coold:

9. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

remington 55gr .223 feeds fine for my AR :dunno:

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I remember reading on RFC a couple years ago that you weren't suppose to shoot .22 ammo, like Stingers, with a longer casing in target barrels. Not sure if this is true or not but I haven't tried. Perhaps someone with more knowledge than me can verify or disprove this.

Minimags are nice (and expensive) Stingers are pretty hot but they have the extended case. I've taken a few squirrels with the federal bulk pack and my 10/22 but I prefer my Marlin .22WMR.

11. Keesh

Keesh New Member

12. Ultimate_Ninja

I'm not sure how casing length would have anything to do with misfires on the bullet's part, but I could be mistaken. The striker is hitting good and solid on the back of the round, but I guess you never know. :dunno:

13. Ultimate_Ninja

I've been bird hunting, squirrel hunting, deer hunting, etc. and squirrel hunting is far and away the most fun. I'm amazed people don't do it more often :coold:

14. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

I don't even shoot anything other than Wolf Match any more. Your tacsol barrel will shoot real well with it, maybe .6" at 50 yards. You don't need hv/hp to kill a squirrel when you are able to shoot him in his cute little eyeball :)

It's been my experience that in general, 40gr will outshoot all lighter bullets, regardless of manufacturer. Try to find some 40gr minimags. The minimags you have will be the best shooters out of what you have. But you need some match ammo to really take advantage of your barrel.

15. Ultimate_Ninja

16. Ultimate_Ninja

I saw some match ammo at Gander, but it was like $18/50 rounds :eek3: I think it was CCI Green Tag or something.

I get your point about ammo and accuracy; just hoping for the best of both worlds now :)

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

No I mean like it's not good for the barrel in the barrel. The casing gets pushed past the chamber and into the barrel because of its extra length, causing damage and decreasing accuracy in target barrels. It could just be one of those gun rumors that goes around though :dunno:

18. Clingman

Clingman Clingman runs Bartertown.

Your best compromise is gonna be 40gr minimag then. It can be hard to find but it's out there.

When I think about the price of Wolf Match I just remind myself how much more I'd be spending if I was wasting 5.56 instead :o

19. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

i love the 500/550 bulk packs for $10-$12.

20. johnson

johnson New Member

I just came home with a Federal bulk pack.

21. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

That is true, no stingers in a target or Bentz chamber, which is what most all the aftermarket barrels are chambered with. Only use them in a sporter chamber (stock carbine bbl). http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=0050

Besides the hyper velocity ammo tends to not be all that accurate compared to standard high velocity.

22. Sardaukar

Sardaukar Active Member

Can't have just one...

23. johnson

johnson New Member

I dont know if it shoots good in my CZ 452 yet.

Also got a box of .270 :o

24. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Basically anything labeled as a varmit load will work just fine. You just have to find what shoots well from your gun. Hollowpoints or solids will both kill a squirrel just fine. If your gun will cycle, subsonics will work too and tend to be very accurate unless you're trying to make longer shots.

Your list is a good starting point, just forget about the stingers.

25. cjj92yj

cjj92yj Guest

I used to shoot all Remington bulk pack 10/22 when it was stock. When I put on the Green Mountain heavy barrel, all it would feed regularly was CCI Standard Velocity. I've probably got about 2000 rounds of that stuff through it now, and it's worked itself in a bit. I can shoot the Remington bulk pack ammo again, but I can't and won't shoot the Federal bulk pack ammo. That stuff just has a much more relaxed tolerance IMO. Not consistent enough to feed regularly for me.