MMA what am i in for?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Feb 14, 2006.

1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

there's a guy in my life who could conceivably start a fight with me. if i think there's a threat, i will avoid the situation. i don't know how to fight. i'm probably a great deal stronger than he is, but i don't know how to fight. so it is my goal to remain untouched.

however, that doesn't mean i don't want to learn how to defend myself if the situation because unavoidable. the guy I'm discussing has studied traditional chinese kung fu for some time. if I had to encounter him, because there was no choice, would I even have a chance? I know how retarded this is going to sound, but basically what I'm asking is, what works against kung fu? :o

2. d0nk3ypunch

d0nk3ypunch New Member

If he studies at a typical martial arts school, chances are he wont really know what to do in a fight.

If you want to pick an effective martial art, do boxing, muay thai, or brazilian jiu jitsu, just a little training will let you hold your own against a guy like that in a real fight.

3. JohnJohnJohnson

thank you. (!) really. :hug:

4. JustGod

JustGod New Member

What timeframe are you looking at? If he does the kind of kungfu most are familiar with, you shouldn't be in much of a trouble once you learn some basics. Just be careful of all the cheap shots he may try to take if he really dislikes you (eye-gouging, groin shots, biting, etc.).

So um... why does he want to fight you?

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Don't they usually do a side stance in kung fu? He might give you his forward leg and have his side facing you. If he does, circle around to his backside throw a few fake jabs and then kick him hard in the leg with your shin without dropping your eyes. Just something to look out for.

Other than that, keep your chin low and your hands up at all times. If he hits you in the dome of the head he will break his wrist, but if he gets u in jaw its a KO. Chances are he isn't that great at fighting though. Use your strenght, and after you give him a few solid kicks to the legs and a few quick jabs to get him thinking just rush in and take him down the floor. There are lots of tutorials on the double leg take down on the internet, look em up.

Keep your hands up, chin down, bend at your knees and stay on the balls of your feet. Keep moving, dont stand there and wait for him to do shit. If he offers you that leg kick the shit out of it. Practice doing double leg takedowns with a friend who is as strong as you and have him resist you.

http://users.pandora.be/wim.demeere/tech/ring/clip/ring001.mpg

Practice a lil light sparring with a friend. Remember to stay kinda loose and keep breathing. Have your friend hit you with decent force (while you are blocking and your chin is tucked in) so you feel more comfortable with it. If you have some time before you expect this fight go to a boxing or krav maga gym and take a few lessons. Most gyms will give you a free intro class.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
  6. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Why not if he gives you the leg? Good way to distract him. Like you said neither knows how to fight, theres no real risk of getting taken down.

7. JustGod

JustGod New Member

If he gives you the leg, go for a single. You'll be wasting your time kicking it methinks.

8. RedDawg

RedDawg Well-Known Member

i'd say just go wild in there. It's gonna be a street fight so i doubt he's going to be concentrating on throwing combos and things like that. Just realize that you ARE going to be hit but i'd just go nuts, don't strictly go for head shots hit anything open, chest, neck, whatever, just the impact of a hit anywhere will at least shake him. Most street fights end up on the ground so if you know when it's going to happen try not to wear loose fitting clothing like a hoodie or anything that he can grab onto and "swing" you with.

9. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

if it's a short time and you can't avoid the fight i would suggest boxing

1 month of BJJ is not going to help him much in applying it in a streetfight scenario.

10. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Dont waste your time trying to do any fucking leg kicks or dancing around throwing jabs. Thats just dumb especially if you dont have any sort of combat sport training. There is a good basic takedown video on here that you should watch (Mark Kerr).

Basically stay about 3 steps back and wait for him to come foward, duck your head low, shoot in on your lead knee and capture his lead leg with your hand. Suck the leg towards your body and try to capture the other leg with your opposite hand. Stay balanced and pull his legs out from under him while driving him over backwards with your shoulders. Rain down forearm shots and tight punches from a mounted position. Stay relaxed, balanced, and remember to breath.

11. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Ya ok, jabs are there to distract him and make him think of high attacks. They dont have to connect. If hes staring at the guys legs he knows something is gonna happen down there. Throw jabs or flick his eyes if hes keeping his distance and then go for the double leg. Don't stand there staring at his legs waiting for him to come in.

12. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Wow. :ugh: This thread is full of bad advice, with a few exceptions.

Getting some training is always a good idea, but in the short term, it's not going to help you, except teaching you some basic mechanics to help you get a little more power into your punch. Don't trouble yourself trying to remember strategies like circling to his weak side while jabbing to try to set up a leg kick. :ugh: That's great advice for a trained fighter who knows how to spot openings like that, but for your average guy on the street, it's just confusing.

My advice is to do what feels natural, but be brutal about it. He knows (supposedly) how to fight, so he's going to have an advantage. But depending on how experienced he is, there's a good chance HE can be confused and caught off guard. Don't try to think too much about what you're going to do - it never happens according to your plan, and the more you think the slower you'll be.

In my experience, unless he's got a lot of real fighting experience you can counter classroom training like this: move straight in and throw a lot of punches at his head (or any other target that presents itself) as fast and as hard as you can (your punches should be straight lines, not big windmill arcs - punch, don't flail), then when you get close, try to knock him down, sit on him, and continue hitting him, as Savage5point0 said.

I've seen a lot of guys with some training - even guys who are hotshots in the dojo - go down when they're faced with somebody who has no training at all and doesn't approach with what they've trained themselves to expect. Very often with exactly this "technique".

Even good classroom training is no substitute for real fight experience, and most of the time, the guy who's meaner and more determined to win is going to win. Your job is to make sure that that guy is YOU. Just go in knowing that you're going to get hit, and it's going to hurt, and no matter how hard you try, there's a very real chance that you'll lose anyway.

All this, of course, only applies if you're totally unable to avoid a fight, which is naturally the best option.

13. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Ok, so the leg kicks might not be the best idea for someone whose never practiced.

To the original poster, don't disregard the rest of what I said. Keep your chin low (this will protect your chin, throat, and reduce the angles at which he can get your eyes), and your hands up, and learn that take down.

14. GoFastNow

GoFastNow New Member

Any advice about shooting in imho is crap. I just wrestled my buddy this weekend who had no kind of training, and got my ass whooped trying to shoot on him. We just sorta stood there grabbing at eachother, and I decided both times to shoot. Both times I got caught in a guillotine and choked out. Also, whenever I would wrestle with my buddy who was a wrestler and he would get a double leg it was my instinct to go for a guillotine. Never worked for shit and Id get thrown, but he knew what he was doing.

So basically it is ones response to automatically go a choke when someone shoots on you. And while guillotines rarely work in MMA, an untrained fighter such as myself will have one hell of a time fighting one off. Stay away from shooting unless you know what youre doing, or atleast get him tired first. My neck is still sore from rolling aorund trying to break his choke, its not as easy as seen on tv

15. JustGod

JustGod New Member

I'd have to agree about the guillotine. It seems to be human nature to go for it. I'd say, even if you don't really know what you're doing, defending one shouldn't be too hard.

16. Placebo

Placebo New Member

With a small guy that does kungfu you want to close the distance and take him down assuming it's going to be the two of you. Stay on top of him. I'm assuming that both of you are equally ignorant on the ground so just stay over him and overwhelm him with aggression.

17. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

In wrestling we used to smack the guy in the forehead right before we took em down, both to distract em and to make sure we were in range. If you're shooting in on someone from 6 ft out and he knows you're not gonna do anything else its much easier to stop. Thats why I think the jab and low kicks are important. Great distractions and if they land they can still do damage without you really putting yourself in a bad position.

Anyway this works well for me when I spar. Whenever I don't throw in some kicks and punches to keep my opponent guessing my double legs get stopped dead in their tracks as well and I have to muscle my way through or I just eat a knee to the face.

18. Trisomy21

Trisomy21 New Member

When he pulls back for the haymaker, pop him in the throat. If he actually tries kung fu on you, laugh at him, and get video so we all can too. Be careful about going to the ground in a real fight. You could fall on some pointy shit or, if it's not just the two of you there, someone could come over and kick you in the head. Never rule out random bystanders jumping in, it happens. Remember that the fight is inside. What I mean is don't be backing away. It's hard to mount any sort of decent attack if you're moving backward. Get inside and go crazy on him. Don't forget that you have knees, shins, and elbows. Also don't forget that he has balls and they can be kicked. There are no rules in a street fight.

www.senshido.com There's some stuff there that might help you. The people on the forum there know a lot about street fights too.

19. JohnJohnJohnson

wow. i did not expect so much helpful advice. thank you guys very much. joe, i feel like you're right about not trying to use any sort of combo strategy or slick moves. i will just have to be the meaner guy. i really hope it doesn't come to that.

i don't think i would want to actually knock him cold, but i guess it's dumb to think he'll stop fighting while he's awake?

He had a very long crush on the girl who is now with me. It's not a good reason to want to fight me. It's incredibly immature of him. Then again, is there ever a good reason? :rolleyes:

what about legal issues? for my attack to be self-defense, i can't preempt; he has to start it, right?

i have a couple months but my school doesn't offer any of the training suggested. they have:
    Aikido, Chi Kung, Capoeira, Hapkido, Tai Chi, and Judo. Tai Chi and Capoeira I know are useless.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2006
  20. JohnJohnJohnson

Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
  21. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Judo is good, but it needs time for most people.

22. JustGod

JustGod New Member

Capoeira isn't useless. It will help you get chicks. However, since that seems to be the cause of your problems, I guess you should stay away. Honestly, jealous ex or current bf's is a fucking epidemic. I think we've all had to deal with at least one such asshole at some point in time.

Um... out of those choices, Judo would be the most beneficial. You knock somebody on their ass hard on the street and you'll be off to a great start. Plus it helps with some of those pesky legal issues. Unfortunately it's not something you can just pick up and be good at within a small window of time. How did you arrive at the "couple of months" timeframe? Is he out of town or something?

23. JustGod

JustGod New Member

I was typing while this was posted. :ugh:

24. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I think the real question is why do you have that dork's pics on your comp. Is there something we should know?

25. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

People will call you a pussy for this but if you have no knowledge on fighting, kick him in the balls. Its a street fight, not a sactioned fight, there are no rules.