A&P What am I doing wrong...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by newboundguy, Apr 10, 2005.

1. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

I'm in a room at night with limited lighted... My aperature is 3.2 and shutter speed is 1/4. Why are my pictures so dark?

Cool pix 8800 btw.
  2. TypeSDragoon

TypeSDragoon Guest

cause you have to increase ISO due to very low light and very low shutter speed

the darker the room, the longer you must keep the shutter open so light comes in. increasing the ISO makes it more sensative and increases speeds a little

or if you are using a tripod, then leave ISO very low and use longer shutter speeds

3. SpiderOnTheFloor

SpiderOnTheFloor New Member

Oct 2, 2003
    do you use the meter? or are you just blindly setting the aperature and shutter speed?
  4. newboundguy

newboundguy Guest

I'm learning this camera by trial and error.
    So the ISO is the only way? Also, I noticed that my camera doesn't let me use the flash when I manually select Aperature and shutter speed.
  5. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    It is a triangle of love man, ISO, Aperture & shutter speed - delicate balance.

Larger aperture (smaller #) allows more light to get in but less depth of field
    Higher ISO allows greater sensitivity to light but become grainy
    Slower shutter speed allows more light in, but can get blurred more easily

As mentioned before, experiment with what you have & different lighting situations. Flash helps if the subject is not too far away, there should be some way to enable the flash on your camera - have you looked through coolpix website?