what am I doing wrong with my orbital polisher?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by t1h, Feb 26, 2007.

1. t1h

t1h Guest

I have a HF 7" polisher I picked up a while back. Decided to try it out so I bought some Mequire's Scratch X. Washed the car, then put some scratch-x on the car and turned on the polisher. as soon as the polisher contacted the scratch-x it flung it everywhere. what am I doing wrong?

2. xxpanipuri

xxpanipuri Gideeyup Motherfuckers....

try putting the product on the pad itself and spreading it on the car first and then turn on the polisher at a low speed and then turn it up gradually....

this insures that you don't waste the product by flinging it :)

also what i do is soak my pads in water and wring them out so they are soft....

this is the method i use that works well for me :)

3. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I do something very similar to above with a slight difference. I spray a little bit of a certain solution onto the pad before I put the product on the pad. From there it's the same thing...put the product on the pad, spread it out on the area you're doing and start with a low speed to work the product around and then move up in speed to work it in the paint.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

HF 7" polisher?

Scratch-X can be used via machine but a better choice is Meguiars #9 Swirl Remover. I also apply polish to the pad instead of the paint.

5. t1h

t1h Guest

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92623

thanks guys, i'll try applying the polish to the pad and see how that goes. i'll stop by autozone and see if I can get Meguiar's #9 there. walmart's selection is lacking

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

With a rotary, once the pad is primed, if you prefer to lay the product down on the paint, pull the rotary towards you at a lower speed to pick up the product and begin to spread it.

7. rickbarrs

rickbarrs New Member

Start out at a lower speed to work the polish onto the paint before turning up the speed to get the product to work the paint.