What am i doing wrong installing this HD???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by James Bond, Nov 26, 2005.

1. James Bond

James Bond Guest

Hello everyone, i am having trouble installing my new 120 segate HD in my Dell OptiPlex 110, I ve tryed diffrrent cables, diffrent partitions, and now it will not even read the HD. :x:

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Here's something to check:

1. There is a jumper on the back of the drive, next to the connector for the cables. Make sure the jumper is set properly. It should be set to Slave IF AND ONLY IF this new drive is a spare drive for storing files, games, etc. AND it is connected to the same cable as the drive with Windows on it. If it is the only drive connected to its cable, or if it is replacing the old drive with Windows on it, then it should be set to Master. If it is connected to the same cable as a CD drive, then the HD should be set to Master and the CDROM should be set to Slave. Under no condition should two drives connected to the same cable have the same jumper setting.

2. Make sure that the drive set to Master is connected to the END of the cable and the drive set to Slave (if there is one) is connected to the MIDDLE of the cable. If they are in the wrong order, the computer may freeze up.

Beyond that, all I can say is to give the drive one more good reformatting and then return it if it still doesn't work.

3. James Bond

James Bond Guest

thats for the advice, i think the HD is swered up, it makes a noise like somethings flapping around inside of it when i shake it.:barf:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Then apply my advice to the replacement drive. :)

5. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

shaking it? :wtf:

6. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

Correction: Under ONE condition: Both drives set to Cable Select (CS). A lot of drives are shipping as CS now.

7. Yoshiemaster

Yoshiemaster New Member

remember.... fdisk or format C:

8. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

go into your bios and see if you can autodetect it