What am I doing wrong here?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Run N. Gun, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I have used two products that are well supported here, but my results have been less than favorable. What should I be doing differently?

Optimum No Rinse - I've used it twice and while the no-rinse process is awkward enough, it is the cleaning of the paint that bothers me. I used a two gallon bucket last night with ONR and had plenty of suds when I started. A few minutes later no suds and honestly, it felt as if I was just washing with plain water. I continued anyway but it didn't feel like I had any soap left, if that makes sense. My fairly new green microfiber sponge was black, not green and I went through MF drying towels like there was no tomorrow. Is this normal?

Meguire's NXT Glass Cleaner and Eagle One's 50/50 glass cleaner both streak/smear my glass like crazy. I have tried various T-shirts, MF towels, terry cloths, etc and it is as if there is a haze on my windows. I end up going back to regular Glass Plus (no ammonia) and a T-shirt and my glass comes out great. What am I doing wrong to have both named products not work so well?

Any feedback would be welcome! :bigthumb:

Thanks!

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

No suds is normal.... QEW doesn't have any at all. Suds often is thought of as equaling celaning ability, but this is not the case. Suds are a byproduct. It is fine.

As for glass, it is probably just learning the technique. I use NXT and Meg's Duo Fiber towels. Spray liberally, clean with one side, flip the towel and polish with the opposite side. Works for me :dunno:

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Suds dont mean shit, as others have said.

Its how the ONR conditions teh water, lubricating, and lifting dirt off the car.
    And with a no rince product, i believe the two bucket method is a must.

As for the glass cleaner, and this is especially teue of E1 20/20, you have to buff it out, and use a fair amount of elbow grease to do it. Otherwise it will leave a strangely hazy film, that looks streaky. The NXT doesnt do it as much, but you still have to give ti a solid buff out to get it nice and clear.

Typically, i use the NXT ont eh interior, becuase its easier to use, and then use the 20/20 on the exterior, becuase i prefer its glossy look, and it seems to be mroe durable in the water repelling depatrment.

4. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Thank you for the replies and suggestions. I did use the second bucket for rinsing, so that makes me feel a little better. I know that ONR lifted the dirt off, because my green sponge is now black. LOL!

Doh! I didn't realize the glass cleaners needed buffing. I'll invest the elbow grease next time and see if I get better results. Thanks for the advice!

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What I have found to work best on glass is the 16 x 24 waffle weaves that my Optimum distributor sells. I think I pay around $3 each and I have about 20 of them know (so I don't have to wash towels all the time).

http://www.colorglodallas.com/OPTProducts.htm

The waffle weave glass towels are a new item that he hasn't added to the page yet. Just contact him and he can set you up.

6. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

I'll give it a shot. Streaked/smeared glass is one of my pet peeves. I just can't sleep at night! :hyper: :nuts:

7. Phishy4

Phishy4 New Member

I've had really good luck with Stoner's Invisible Glass myself, I just use it with a MF (waffle weave's are even better) and get good results.