What about arms?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Feb 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

I'm doing Christophers routine (it's gotta be archived somewhere) for bulking. I am doing it to the T and combining it with 4k cals/day. As you can imagine, it's working. It's not magic. But I am steadily gaining 3-5 lbs a week and my strength is going up as prescribed. The thing is that it's going to my legs, my back, my chest, my shoulders a little bit, and my gut (of course; oh well), but my arms? They're like, whatever.

For those who need a refresher, this is the Christophers routine:
    I am really really hesitant to fuck with that routine in any way because it works so much better than anything else I've done. Really. That said, I'm hoping it can be modified slightly, somehow, to build my arms more. Does anyone with experience have a suggestion?

Thx

2. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

bent over row, do some palms in for some more biceps, other than that i dont think arms should lag

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I'm using a slightly modified christopher's routine. When I started I wasn't strong enough to do even one pullup, so I've switched some things around and added a couple of things.

Squat
    Deadlift
    Bench Press
    Incline BP

Squat
    Good Morning
    Shoulder Press
    Shrug
    Preacher Curl
    Pullover

Squat
    Bent Over Row
    Incline BP
    Tricep Extension

In essence it's exactly the same thing. I just substituted pullovers for pullups since I don't have an assist machine. If you've been doing christopher's routine for a while and you see an area lagging, it's perfectly okay to add in some isolation things. I also do ab work 3x a week.

4. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

Pullovers aren't really a substitution for pullups, especially if you're doing them with a dumbbell. Reverse band pullups are the best option if you can't do a pullup.

5. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

That routine sounds shitty, most people with no base could never even get close to doing that workout. Not to mention having that many complex lifts such as bench, squats and deads in the same day would take forever. Maybe the squats and bench in the same day, but all 3?

IBflames

That works for some people but not everyone. For me, I could never get much from that workout.

6. xpinchx

Is there any way to adjust the amount of resistance, or do you just have to buy multiple bands?
    The whole idea is to build your base. I started this routine completely from scratch (no previous weight training in my entire life) and I've been doing it for about a month and a half. I've seen incredible gains and I've put on a lot of weight. Not to mention probably half the people in F&N have done this routine at one point or another and have seen incredible gains by using it.

7. OOTSABryan

OOTSABryan New Member

Most people do see alot of gains their first few months no matter what routine they use. For me personally I don't have the energy to do all 3 of those lifts in one workout to my max or near max potential. I'm sure some people can. I just prefer going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week. Keeps me busy.

I couldn't imagine how ur body felt the days after u first started that workout. I know when start lifting after a good break I feel like I got the shit kicked out of me.

8. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

If you can do your pullups in a power rack then put the band through each of the safety pins instead of over the top. Then as you get stronger you can lower the pins further and further.

9. xpinchx

Well yeah, the first week or two of condition is a bitch no matter what you're doing. The first week I couldnt' walk right, I couldn't stand straight up, and I could barely lift my arms long enough to shampoo my hair. But the whole idea of christopher's routine is to build a strong base before noobs start doing heavier isolation exercises. Since pretty much every day is a full body workout, it's only neccesary to do 3 workouts a week in order to give your body enough time to recover. I hate to use cliches, but if you can't do your big 3 in one day you're weakminded. Although they're 3 of your heaviest lifts and require the most effort from your body, the 3 of them work such vastly different areas of your body that they shouldn't really hinder your performance in any of the lifts.

10. JohnJohnJohnson

This is why you only work out 3 times in a week. I guess I just have a lot of energy. Or maybe you underestimate yourself? The workout takes about an hour. It's not that bad. Just eat a lot. It's the most effective routine I've ever done. Try it before you knock it.

11. JohnJohnJohnson

this is with a bar, right

12. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i don't work my arms (other than with my compound lifts) at all

no isolation at the moment

13. therealdeal

therealdeal New Member

I havent isolated my arms at all either but now they're starting to lag behind
    :wtc:

14. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

if you have never lifted before or consistently....any routine will net results...i still crack up at you guys thinking a routine will get you there faster.

15. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

the only thing that'll get you there faster is if you follow a routine and stay your ass in the gym

oh yeah, and if you eat

16. JohnJohnJohnson

Maybe, but I had been lifting consistently for about five years before I tried Christophers's workout. The exercises do seem to matter. For example, I had never done squats or deadlifts before. Beach muscles only. And some other dumb ideas.

17. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

yeah

18. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

5 years with no deads or squats? :hsugh:

19. PurEvl

you just proved my point thanks

20. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

And that is why Bill Starr (the creator of this routine) is a world-renown strength coach, and you are you.

21. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I did the workout of isolated exercises that my personal trainer at 24 gave me as a 'base building' routine (his words) and saw absolutely no gains coupled with the diet he worked out for me. all I did was lose weight, which I didn't even need to do.

then I got on the bill starr routine, started lifting hard and not being scared to get under the bar + eating right and only then did I start seeing gains.

so I debate the statement that 'any routine will get you gains in the first six months'

22. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

Any routine may produce results in noobs, but it doesn't mean that any routine you select will be optimal... it depends entirely on goals. Most people look back and wish they would have done things differently during their noob gains, do they not?

btw, I'm not saying this routine is optimal for all noobs, because it isn't.

23. JAFAR

JAFAR FPS whore OT Supporter

Well I think that it's pretty common knowledge around here that gym PTs are certified pieces of shit.

24. PurEvl

i could take anyone of you under me for 6 months of training with me an you would make more gains then you EVER EVER EVER will in your life. And it wouldnt be this routine not that its bad but its nothing but a joint killer an injury maker. Judging by pics around here...i dont think 90% of this forum works out in the first place but thats another battle

25. trancezj

trancezj New Member

exactly what I thought. Just like BAM! all in a few sentences even better than my dumb ass could have ever put it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.