GUN What a difference good ammo makes

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vwpilot, May 24, 2009.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Below is a shot of a target I shot earlier this week. Shot with a mostly stock Savage 10fcp with IOR scope (has factory HS stock and has had barrel shortened to 20" and threaded for suppressor). Did not have suppressor attached. Was shot at 100 yards from a bench.

Gun is zeroed for Federal Gold Medal Match ammo and the top target was 10 shots with the Federal ammo. You can see its all right on the bull and measures right at 1 inch.

Bottom target was shot with some Prvi Match ammo using the same 168 gr. bthp bullet the Federal uses. You can see point of aim moved dramatically and they did not group nearly as well as the Federal. It measures right about 2 inches. These were shot within minutes of shooting the first target and this was duplicated several times during the day, proving the Federal to be perfectly on point of aim and consistently measuring an inch or less, while the Prvi was consistently high and grouped between 2 and 2 1/2 inches.

So even though its "match" ammo and using the same bullet, there is an obvious difference between the two. I can live with the point of aim shift, but it doesnt really group either so its definitely inferior in its consistency of manufacture, or simply my gun doesnt like it. Though I do get similar results with my FNAR semi-auto .308 as well.

So the lesson is that quality ammo does make a difference and also that you need to zero your gun with whatever you plan on using and make sure your gun likes it. If I were to assume that the Prvi zeroed the same as the Federal, it would be quite off as the distances increased.

[​IMG]

2. Jas0n

Jas0n Антихрист

That's almost difficult to believe. But I'm a rifle noob.

3. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

damn.

so when are we going to actaully go to the same IDPA match punk

4. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I travel a lot during the summer and do not get to do nearly as much shooting. I will shoot IDPA fairly regularly at Thurmont since its on Tuesdays and my travel is all weekend related. Come up there you might see me. ;)

5. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

word, yeah I still have not made it up there
    AAFG is a bit of a drive for me too.

you ever do IPSC at Thurmont?

6. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Try to. Went up today for a shoot and got there and found out it was canceled. I never received any kind of notice after signing up for it. Apparently others did though since I was the only one there. :/

7. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

laaaaame

I've never shot IPSC myself, looking forward to getting destroyed someday soon

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Wait..... Prvi uses the 168SMK?

9. sqwirl

sqwirl New Member

It's 168gr and I think I remember reading that it uses the SMK. Not sure though.

I have pretty good luck with it out of my SPS though.

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Nice group.

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I'll admit, I dont know for sure if its the Sierra bullet. It does say "168 gr match hpbt" on the box.

If nothing else it indicates it should be a very similar bullet, just adding to my point that all things are not the same even if they look like they could be.

I'd like to get the chrono on it when I get the chance and compare it to the Federal and see how consistent it is. I just havent had much luck with it in either of my .308s.

I used to think it was me just needing to learn how to shoot better till I ran the Federal through the gun and figured I could actually shoot pretty well. :big grin:

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

There you go, part of the issue likely. Again, just cause it says "match" and has similar bullets, doesnt mean its the same. The point is to test the ammo you think you'll use in the gun you'll use it in to be sure and know what you're getting.