MIL What a crock of bullshit v. Wanat

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by kazimer, Mar 13, 2010.

1. kazimer

kazimer New Member

I just read on CNN than a CPT and his superiors are receiving letters of reprimand for the attack on the firebase at Wanat

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/03/12/silver.star.reprimand/index.html?hpt=T2

Maybe I need to read more details but as a fellow Captain, the ability to decide where a combat outpost or firebase is located is decided several levels above my paygrade. From the sparse reports we read in the career course a few months ago, this patrolbase was shortstaffed and completely left flapping.

I dont think commanders at the lowest level should be reprimanded for executing the mission with what is given to them.

What does OT barracks think?

Do you know more about this situation? care to share info :x:

2. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

From my understanding, the CPT did not relay issues to higher enough. But the CPT will still make MAJ and LTC. So no biggy. The others are done though.

3. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

So the LOR went away for the CPT?
    LOR is a career killer

4. JSin

JSin New Member

A LOR and a Silver Star for the same incident, wow. The irony there is just too much.

5. MassiveGas

MassiveGas OT Supporter

Yep

my last company commander was a Major and she was saying that she'll probably never make LTC because she had a LOR when she was younger

6. DawnsKayBug

DawnsKayBug New Member

I'm pretty sure a LOC is a killer for an Lt.
    I remember when they were booting Lts and 1 said he was outty due to a LOC or LOA I think it was a LOC

7. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

LORs are NOT career killers. It depends on what it is for, and it depends on whether it was filed locally or permanently.

There are some things that will kill your career for an LOR, like fraternization, adultry, cheating, stealing, drugs, dui. Basically things that discredit your character.

8. kazimer

kazimer New Member

from what i have noticed people in my last unit got LORs as LTs and they still made CPT on time. It seems CPT is the make it or break it rank or at thats how everyone tries to make it :dunno:

9. kazimer

kazimer New Member

that is pretty shitty, that makes it seems like you have to nag a certain amount of times for your superiors to listen to you AND more importantly not receive a LOR when things hit the fan

10. Nausty17

Nausty17 New Member

wanat

They should be reprimanded! I was in a gunner in afghanistan for 15 months in the same area of wanat! A bunch of my buddies were at wanat and a couple got purple hearts with the combat heavy engineer unit! It was coordination at its worse! They put the troops in the most vulnerable area ever, supply coordination was horrible they were black on water almost the entire time, also position wise they were fish in a barrel! I was talking to some of the 173 guys in the pesh river valley before they went out to wanat and they all had a sketchy feeling about it! They were pretty much just camping out in one of the most dangerous areas of afghanisan! The officer on the ground handled it great from what I heard and performed great coordinating medevacs, fire support, appache support, ect, ect! 173rd ground troops were well season'd and maybe slightly complacent/ neurotic on the 15mo mark! It was just coordination and planning at its worse! It was a statagy to win over the hearts and minds putting us in a village leaving us extremely vulnerable! They fucking hate us in that area!
    On the other side it was one of the most complex attacks from the taliban there has ever been and they took out the crew serves and the tow missile truck asap!

also anp and aa army were corrupt as shit and were in on it! I have a ton of pictures of the aftermath and some awsome photos of the left over taliban and the blood trails! One of the pictures is a massive arms stockpile at the local anp checkpoint!

Sorry for the choppiness of the grammar, i'm in a hurry but that was the perpective I had of the situation!

11. kazimer

kazimer New Member

wow thanks for the insight from someone who was there, it puts things in a little more perspective AND shows what troops on the ground felt

I was mainly pissed that the officer on ground was both awarded a silver star and then reprimanded for being in that position in the first place. I am sure he received orders to be there just like you. Sucks he got the shit end of the stick for executing a mission and then performing like a soldier should.

Following the logic they are using, the landings on IWO Jima and Normandy should be viewed as leadership failures because of the way the senior leadership exposed the soldiers and marines who died there....at least in my opinion :o

12. Off

Off Memento Mori

D-Day was an offensive, Wanat was a unit sent to just chill out in a hostile area.

13. kazimer

kazimer New Member

they didnt really do much chilling :o

14. Off

Off Memento Mori

yea you know what I mean :o

15. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

I thought the officer on the ground was KIA

16. endemicW

endemicW fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu OT Supporter

the sergeant in the red beret was my black hat at airborne school